Malware Cleanup - Time Saving

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by TheKid7, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I have limited experience in cleaning malware from PC's. I have noticed that malware scans of other people's PC's take multiple times longer than my PC's. What are the best steps to take to reduce the scan times?

How do the following suggestions look?:

1. From Safe Mode, run "Disk Cleanup" including deleting all but the most recent Restore point. Would it be better to just turn off System Restore until after the cleanup operation?

2. From Safe Mode, delete the Sun Java "Temporary Files".

3. From Safe Mode, open any installed web browsers and delete all Temporary internet files.

Suppose you cannot boot into Safe Mode and you want to use a Antivirus Rescue CD such as AVIRA for the cleanup. I guess you could boot from any bootable CD (Linux, BartPE, etc.) which has a file manager. If you know the path to the Temporary Files you could browse to the folder containing these Temporary files and delete them. Does anyone have a list of the locations (paths) to these temporary files?

Any other tips/suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

2. TheKid7

Someone I know just asked me for advice for someone with an infected PC who does not want to format and start over. The following is what I told him to tell the person with the infected PC. I think that it may be somewhat overwhelming for the person but they should be able to do the Scan and Clean with SAS. The person with the infected PC already knows that they are to run the scans from Safe Mode. Does anyone see anything that could be done differently/better?

Thanks in Advance.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First Try SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) Portable:

http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html

If SAS Portable doesn't fix the problem, try Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/

Note: The Emisoft Emergency Kit is not a single exe file. You make a folder, download the zip file to that folder, extract (unzip) the zip file into that folder, execute the program file called "a2emergencykit" which is located in the Run folder, update Emisoft Emergency Kit, copy the folder containing the Emisoft Emergency Kit to the USB flash drive, copy the folder from the USB flash drive to the infected PC and then go to the Run folder and execute the program file called "a2emergencykit", do a "Deep Scan", follow the instructions at the end of the scan. As a precaution, it is recommended to quarantine everything that is found.

To save a considerable amount of scan time, it is recommended to do the following:

1. Turn off Windows System Restore to get rid of all of the Restore Points.
    2. Run Windows Disk Cleanup to delete unnecessary files.
    3. Open Sun Java from the Control Panel and delete the temporary files.

After the PC is cleaned up, make sure that Windows System Restore is turned back on.

Note: If something is so entrenched that you cannot run any scans then you may have to resort to using an AV Rescue CD. AVIRA Antivir Rescue CD is one of the AV Rescue CD choices:

http://www.free-av.com/en/products/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

Instructions for using the AVIRA Rescue CD:

http://forum.avira.de/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=82163

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. TheKid7

I got feedback that SuperAntiSpyware Portable cleaned up the malware problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.