Malware can turn off UAC in Windows 7; “By design” says Microsoft

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Malcontent, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/01/30/malware-can-turn-off-uac-in-windows-7-by-design-says-microsoft

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, I'm sure there is more to this than just this article. But, if the situation is really like this, what is Microsoft trying to do, kill off Windows 7 before it even gets started and "finally get everybody on the Vista bandwagon"? Something like this is not such hot news considering the big thing in today's news is that the next step for 7 is an RC 1.

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Doh! Doh!

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I guess, that with UAC default settings in W7, speech recognition "issue" would work as well as in Vista. :rolleyes:

5. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I wouldn't worry about this for now. After all, Windows 7 is still in beta. No one really knows what Microsoft is planning to do, except for the management and (main) developers.

6. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

UAC is not really important.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  7. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

IMHO, it is important. It's a step towards securing Windows. Microsoft just needs to refine it further.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Re: Malware can turn off UAC in Windows 7; “By design” says Microsoft

Hello,
    I think the main point is that your not ment to use admin account all the time.
    uac is there to protect you but only if your willing to protect yourself aka use limited user accounts. no matter how you sugar coat it using an admin account is very dangerous so this kinda of thing isnt a flaw at all since you should only use admin account when you need to. If your software is uac complient you shouldnt ever need to login as admin. if you need admin rights for something it should give you a uac prompt on your LUA.
    I think microsoft should disable administrator graphical login. they should make it so all acccounts made are limited user and to do admin tasks you put in the admin password when the uac prompt comes up. what do you think?

If you get loads of uac prompts on vista its because you have setup your system wrong.

when i used the option in Ccleaner clean at startup on vista it always showed a uac prompt at startup. i relised i setup wrong so instead i had a look around and decided to created a schduled task instead and it does the job. no uac prompt and no security risk.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Re: Malware can turn off UAC in Windows 7; “By design” says Microsoft

UAC is very important. it allows users to acually use limited user accounts on windows.
    users can go about there daily tasks with no problems and without having to use a admin account like they did with windows xp and below. if you cannot do there is at least two possible reasons, 1. you set it up wrong or 2. the software is written correcty and only works under admin accounts =fail.

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I personally think not only UAC is important, but it is the best security feature Vista can boast to have compared to XP. I don't find it annoying, it is actually reassuring, the OS is not passive. I'm pretty sure that adopting a policy of default deny with UAC, when something runs unexpectedly, would probably even make an antivirus unnecessary (I do have an AV though).

If one doesn't like it, it can be disabled.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.