Malware Bytes AM curiosities

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by n8chavez, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

There are a couple of aspects to Malware bytes AM that I was curious about, and I was hoping those here with more knowldge than me might be able to help. What is its purpose; it's not an AV, AT, or AS, so is it a 'hole filler'? Next, give my setup of on-access protection, including LnS, MVPS Hosts, Sandboxie (with Opera and Miranda given sole access), and WinPatrol Pro, would this AM be suitable as a replacement for a resident AV.

Finally, is there anything that can be done about the width of the AM's context menu. It's ridiculously wide.

Thanks.

2. n8chavez

I can answer that one now. Edit the English.lng file, line 227 and change it to whatever you want.

3. n8chavez

Does anyone have any opinion regarding the above? Or, perhaps there is no replacement for a resident AV.

4. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I am not more knowledgable than you but I will chime in. ;)

I assumed it was in the same niche as SuperAntiSpyware, AVG Antispyware, A-Squared, etc. Am I wrong? o_O

5. n8chavez

That is more or less correct, although MBAM and the products you listed are not quite the same. But close enough.

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

IMO MalwareBytes AM stands for Malware (malicious) so anything from rootkits to virusses and everything inbetween should be covered by it,its just my definition so i can be wrong,just me two cents.

There is a trend going on that more virussuites cover the whole bunch of malicious stuff out there,i expect that MBAM does more then only fighting trojans.
    Perhaps Yellow Ducky can chime in ?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  7. n8chavez

Given the name of the product, that would be my assumption too. However, we would both be wrong. Please see this thread at the MBAM forums.

8. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Just to clear up. We do detect malware, which stands for malicious software. That being said, we can detect rootkits, viruses, spyware, adware, and so on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.