Malware and Imap

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by beethoven, Sep 13, 2017.

1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I normally receive emails via POP and have them filtered through mailwasher before they get downloaded to my pc/email program. This works particularly well for these waves of phishing emails when I suddenly receive the same spam/phishing email for each of my accounts. My email program will only download on command after I washed everything via mailwasher. This works very well for me with these types of emails getting deleted on the server before they ever reach my pc.
    On a second pc I am checking a number of these accounts via IMAP and the setting in the email program is to be connected or not. So if i leave the setting to be connected all the time, emails will show up at times before they get the filter treatment. Apart from the fact that I don't want that crap cluttering up my inboxes, is there any security issue with downloaded emails via IMAP? I could change the setting to "not connected" but that's really not convenient if everytime I want to check emails, I need to manually reconfigure each account.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.