Making my computer safe for file sharing

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by gibbsy, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gibbsy

gibbsy Registered Member

Hey, I stumbled across this link whilst searching videos on YouTube http://www.jimmyr.com/ and saw the MP3 seach feature.
    So, i'm thinking of using this as an alternative to a PVP program, and am wondering if this setup will be enough to keep my computer clean, and hacker free :D
    I'm using NOD32 2.7
    PrevX 2 ( Got it free as a "giveawayoftheday" promotion, but believe its the full paid version)
    Comodo Firewall Pro ( free )
    SUPERAntiSpyware ( free )
    AdAware 2007 ( free )
    Spybot - Search and Destroy ( free )
    And Windows Media Centre Edition SP2 ( and Auto Updates on )
    Cheers! :D

2. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

I wont even mention the legalities of what you are planning to do, and it wouldnt suprise me if a mod removed that link (as it points to alternative ways to obtain free mp3s).

Anyway, i think you are as safe as you can get with that, although I would scrap AdAware 2007, as it is just a resource hog even when it is not running (additional service, etc) also, SuperAntiSpyware eclipses it entirely in terms of detection. Apart from that I would say your fine ;)

3. gibbsy

gibbsy Registered Member

Alright, thanks for the reply :thumb:, however I've also come across that website on this site, with links to some security news items etc, and his opinions on anti-malware applications.
    Also, I don't believe that streaming the music is illegal ( just downloading is )/
    Cheers.

4. subssubs

subssubs Registered Member

I would also suggest this:

Code:
    http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

5. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

Fair enough :thumb:

Im not to sure about the legal bits but then again, were not here to judge :)

Yes, I completely forgot about that. Peerguardian would be an excellent addition to your antimalware "arsenal" :p

6. nameless

nameless Registered Member

All it does is perform a Google search.

7. DavidGGG

DavidGGG Registered Member

Regarding PeerGuardian: Have you seen this?
    He seems convincing when he says it blocks close to 1,000,000,000 sites when using the default block lists from bluetack, and this includes churches, colleges, entire ISPs, P2P networks etc, and still it doesn't block what it should. If this is true, then it seems to do more harm than good.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

You don't need to block http addresses, only p2p ones. Plus you can unblock anything you do not want blocked.

In this regard, it does exactly what it should and works fine.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.