Making HD copy a bootable disk with TI.10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Granger, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Granger

Granger Registered Member

Okay, so I made a disk-copy with TrueImage 10, Build 4,871. I did this by taking the boot disk from my laptop, connecting it to my desktop PC, connecting a virgin HD to my desktop PC and using TI 10 to do a disk-to-disk copy. The two drives are the same size (60GB). The source disk is a boot drive.
    In Windows Explorer the Copy HD is identical to the source, but when I insert the copy-HD into the laptop, the laptop will not boot. After it posts it asks me if I want to boot from the HD or the CD, I choose HD, then I get the Blinking cursor and no farther.
    So I made a CD from that ISO image that Acronis tells you to use to rebuild the MBR (Master Boot Record) on the copy-HD. But my laptop will not boot from that, when I direct the laptop to boot from this ISO-CD it just sits there and does nothing and I can hear the CD drive zoom up to read it, then zoom down when it is found unreadable. When I examine that ISO-CD on my desktop computer it is filled with a zip file. Nonbooted PCs do not know what to do with a zip file...how useless is this?? And yes, I followed Acronis' directions on how to use Nero to burn this ISO-CD.
    Next I inserted a Microsoft Windows XP install CD and booted the laptop from that, into "R"epair mode. I rebuilt the MBR on the copy-HD. Tried to boot from the copy-HD again, same thing, just a blinking cursor. Booted from the WinXP CD again and this time did a bootcfg /rebuild and rebuilt the boot.ini file on the copy-HD, which went fine (repair mode found the Windows installation on the copy-HD). Tried to boot from the copy-HD, still nothing but the blinking cursor.
    Went back to the beginning and did a clean HD-to-HD copy with TrueImage again, did all steps again. Same result.
    Anyone see a problem in my work?
    I would pay $1,000 for a piece of software that actually does a boot HD copy in one damn step without all this %(@*^(&^%)!!!
    thanks in advance for any suggestion that actually works,
    Granger

2. Granger

BTW, in case it is not obvious, by "copy" I meant "clone".
    thanks,
    Granger

3. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Not sure if you used the TI Clone feature from within the TI software that was installed in Windows (on the desktop) or from the bootable TI Rescue CD. I suspect it was from the installed software - try from the bootable Rescue CD. This CD has all the Backup/Recovery/Clone features of the installed software.

4. Granger

Ralphie, thanks for the quick response.
    Yes, I did use the installed TI.10 version on my desktop PC and it is a full, registered license.
    I do not have faith in using a boot-CD TI.10 to make an image of my boot HD, but if all else fails I will try it.
    Right now I am attempting to use Maxtor software ("MaxBlast") to make a raw bit-copy clone of the source HD as described previously, and see if this works. I have used this software successfully before to make a one-step clone of a boot HD, but Maxblast will not upsize the boot partition like TI claims to do. Since the HDs are both the same size this won't matter in this instance.
    But I am still interested in trying to make TI.10 work since I PAID for it! (Maxtor's utility was free).
    thanks,
    Granger

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Granger,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please do the following?

- Plug both drives (source and destination) to your desktop computer;

- Create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disks partition structure.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

P.S. I have tested the mentioned utility that fix Master Boot Record (the ISO image) and it works just fine.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.