Making a Toshiba Laptop Fan run always

Discussion in 'hardware' started by tekkaman, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Ok here's the deal. A client bringed me a Toshiba laptop that turn on but with a blank screen. Since lately I've been having that same issue with other laptops. I proceed with the solution. I take it apart and heat the Ati video chip with a torch and the video starts working again. But I notice the fan doesn't run all the time. What is the cable that I need to cut to make it run always. I've done it before. But I forgot :doubt:

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

As a work-around while waiting for an answer about which wire to cut, you might try one of the GPU overclocking tools such as MSI-Afterburner. Use it to take the fan off of auto and set a speed. If you do that the fan will run at the set speed all the time. However, while MSI afterburner can be used with most ATI cards, it may not be compatible with the particular card in the laptop.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

In Toshiba Laptops, at least in mine, there is only one fan for both the CPU and GPU. If the code for the fan is missing from the BIOS or ACPI then your only choices are to reflash them, cut some wires, or you could set the laptop on top of a small box fan and run a vga cable to a big screen TV.
    There is always a choice to match your skill level. :D

4. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

It had 3 cables. Yellow, red, blue. Used trial an error. Tried the red and wouldn't turn on. Tried blue and same. Tried yellow and it behaved different than expected. Cutting the yellow made the computer turn on the fan when it wanted to like default except for one difference. When it does turn on it turns on in high speed. Then when it reaches certain temp. Turns off again. It used to do that before but more silent. I gave up trying with the cables. Weird because I managed to get then fan work nonstop on an Hp dv6000 before by cutting one of the cables. This toshiba laptop is from about 2008-09 and it was an all AMD motherboard,chipset and video. The problem was that it was clogged with dust and it seemed to have overheated enough to make the solder in the video chip fail. So I cleaned the fan and heatsink and used the magic torch haha. By the time I noticed your replies I already gave the laptop to the client. But I'll check MSI Afterburner. I'm thinking I need to enter the config and "enable unnofficial overclocking" right ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.