Make your Windows Defender more effective!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by RejZoR, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Everyone is compaining about how lame is Windows Defender and how it's not protecting enough. Well here is a way how to make it more effective while also helping SpyNet community at the same time.

Run Windows Defender, click Tools button and select Options.
    Now check this option:

Choose if Windows Defender should notify you about:
    + Software that has not yet been clasified for risks

Save the options.

Now go to SpyNet settings and select:
    + Join with Advanced Membership

This way Windows Defender will ask you about suspicious actions performed by software making it a bit more secure and you'll be also helping SpyNet community at the same time by providing extra info about stuff thats been allowed or denied on your system. Since most of us here are advanced users and know stuff that we do, it's probably good to use such settings.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I heartily agree with you :) except on one point. After living with Defender for quite some time, I no longer recommend ticking the "Changes made to your system by software permitted to run" box.

The reason for my opinion is that every time you run a new Windows session, Defender will give several warning pop-ups for items already approved during prior Windows sessions. And for many users, I believe this will lull them into an "ignore all Defender warning pop-ups" mode of thinking. While I feel this is especially true for the average, less knowledgeable user, I think even sophisticated users like us (here at Wilders ;) ) can even fall prey to ignoring the warning pop-ups. There are just too many...

FWIW, IMO, the real-time early warning part of Defender is it's best asset. Too bad the clean-up section doesn't measure up as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.