Make Readable on WinXP Computers?

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by mwfanelli, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwfanelli

mwfanelli Registered Member

After formatting a USB drive with NTFS on my MBP, everything was fine while connected to a Mac. However, when that drive was connected to a Windows XP machine, the drive was seen as "unformatted." This occurred on all the XP machines I tried. On a Windows 7 machine, the drive was declared damaged.

I then tried the same things with two more flash drives. Same result. So... Is there a way to format these flash drives as NTFS on a Mac in a way that also can be read/written on Windows machines? By the way, I use Disk Utility to do the formatting.

Thanks!

mike

2. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

Hello mwfanelli!
    Try to re-download the product and re-install it. There was a serious bug in 7.0.4 version. Write here about results...

3. mwfanelli

The NTFS for Mac product is currently at 7.0.3. That is what I downloaded and installed less than a week ago from the Paragon web store. There is no mention of a new version that I can find.

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Connect to a PC, format using a PC, and that should work both ways.
    Right-click 'My Computer' > Manage > Disk Management > right-click the flash drive partition > format.

5. mwfanelli

Actually, that only works on an XP machine. Once formatted on the Mac, neither Vista nor Windows 7 can do anything with it. However, I was given good advice that allows the flash drive to be formatted on the Mac and read by a PC.

The guy at the Genius Bar at the Apple store knew the answer right away: in Disk Utility, there is an "Options" button. Before formatting, press the button and choose the MS-DOS boot method rather than the default Mac GUID. You then format as usual.

The default is to format in MS-DOS (or NTFS) but use Mac GUID. Dumb, but true. Changing this to the MS-DOS method makes all the flash drives readable in either MS-DOS or NTFS format on all PCs.

You might want to put that in the README or something! It was painful to get this information.

Thanks for trying guys!

6. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Mwfanelli,

Thank you for that invaluable information. I'm sure many other users will find this helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.