Major Surgery w/98Lite

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by beetlejuice, Feb 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Hi all. I'm going to play doctor and install Lite 98. Besides reading all the instructions, crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes, has anyone got any pointers about anything inparticular to look for? o_O

2. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:D :DWindows XP pro :D :D

3. beetlejuice

Yeah I've thought about that but I've got too much money invest in my software and periferals. Don't really want to start over. I might have to though. Tried Lite98, it got part way through and it just stopped. Don't know what happened, unless some one was trying to tell me something like "Don't be messing around with your PC like that." :doubt: :D

4. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi :)

98Lite definitely one of the best things that ever happened to my pc. Wouid not be able to do without it.

I can only encourage you to start the install process over again.

Please also note that 98Lite installs some of the Windows .cabs on the hard drive so as to be able to access it faster and cleaner each time it is required of it to apply some change.

You may find further comments on 98Lite in previous posts of mine and Root's.

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

5. beetlejuice

I think I'm going to learn to do without it.

Well, I reinstalled and thought everything was going OK. Couldn't get online at all. Goback also disappeared for a few minutes. I really thought I was in deep sh!t. I think I'll just live with my slow, bloated machine until I can get a faster processor.

I guess I should have listened to the little voice in my head. Do you ever hear voices? o_O

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When something like that happens it really gets your attention doesn't it :eek:

7. beetlejuice

Ummm, well, I almost had to change my underwear. :eek:

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I had been working on a customers comp for about three days changing a lot of hard and software and I had it working really well until she came in to pick it up. The comp started to boot when I fired it up to show her how well it worked It had the welcome screen lit when it just went black :eek: My mind was running a hundred miles an hour trying to figure what went wrong. It was almost a new comp with all the upgrades. Well about the time my heart was about to start skipping beats the front door to the shop opened and a guy in a pair of coveralls yelled out that they would have the power back on in about twenty minutes. I know all about changing shorts. :D

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

It did not improve my pc performance either . i found that by taking off a lot of excess baggage and only running one lite firewall and one lite anti virus and dumping my over weight anti trojan . and only one anti spyware . iv freed up my pc for what it was intended for . It runs along quite fast now. i also do maintainance weekly etc .

10. Micro98

Micro98 Guest

IMO the weakest point of 98Lite has always been lack of simple documentation how to use the program. Here are beginner tips for performing "Micro" install using version 4.6:

1. Extract 98Lite files to 3.5 (floppy) disk

2. Copy to paper win98 Product ID code and 98Lite reg code

3. Download drivers for your hardware (driverguide.com, etc..)

4. Download a non-Internet Explorer based web browser

5. Extract/download these win95 files from an early win95 CD or internet:

- Shell32.dll version 4.00.951 or 4.00.1111
    - Comdlg32.dll version 4.00.951
    - Explorer.exe version 4.00.950

6. Copy the above win95 files to a 3.5 disk

7. Backup your existing setup with Drive Image program

8. Disconnect cable or phone line from computer

9. Reboot with win98 bootdisk; choose option 2 (with CD support) Press Enter

10. At the A:\ prompt, type Format C:

11. Type Y to proceed. Press Enter

12. When format is complete, press Enter

13. Remove win98 bootdisk and insert the 98Lite disk

14. At the A:\ prompt, type 98pro46 (It looks like this; A:\98Pro46). Press Enter

15. Press Enter twice to pass both intro screens, then choose install and enter unlock code. Press Enter

16. Choose installation directory (default C:\98setup)

** Files are automatically copied from 3.5 disk to HD... README/HELP opens **

17. Press Alt key to activate Menu, use arrow key to scroll down to Exit. Press Enter

18. The prompt will now look like this; C:\98Setup

19. Type 98Lite (It will look like this C:\98Setup\98Lite) press Enter

20. Type the drive letter that is highlited in blue

21. Insert Windows98 CDROM, then press Enter

22. Press Enter twice to pass both the Welcome and User License screens

23. Press #1 on keyboard, then Enter (Clean install option)

24. Press #4 on keyboard, then Enter (Micro install option)

25. Remove 98Lite disk and insert disk containing the 3 win95 files

26. Press Enter to choose exact path to win95 files

27. Type A:\ and press Enter

** Win95 files are copied from 3.5 disk to C:\98Setup folder **

28. Press Enter to continue with setup. What soon follows is usual Windows98 install routine to the point of choosing optional Windows components. Thats when you see extra remove options from 98Lite program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.