Major Startup Delays (then all seems well)

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Jo Ann, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

I have been using NOD32 together with the Comodo firewall (as can be seen in my sig). I thought I would try ESS (beta 1b), so I uninstalled NOD32 and Comodo before installing ESS. ESS installed smoothly and seems to be doing its job quite well, but everytime I bootup, the ESS splash sits on my screen for anywhere between 30 and 45 seconds!

My PC has a 3GHz P4(HT) with 2GB of dual-channel RAM and a WD SATA 10K RPM hard drive, so I'm not used to such startup delays. Is this a known issue with beta 1b? ...if not, can someone suggest how to remedy this?

Thank you,
    Jo Ann

2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

its ok i saw that too but overall ESS work smoothly. i you want you can disable splash screen in option menu

3. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

if system is having wifi than its OK.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Jo Ann , sorry for the "stupid" question but do you have Skype v3 to run at start-up ?

5. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

My PC (with the startup delay) is hardwired to a wireless router.

6. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

HiTech_boy,

No I don't have Skype on my PC. The only other security software running on my PC is Prevx2.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I asked for Skype because another user in anoter forum complained about the same problem like yours . We tried different things and finally the problem was solved by uninstalling Skype 3 and moving back to Skype v2 . He also had wired i-net connection . Very strange , but ... Anyway , sorry for the off-topic

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Have you tried to disable Splash screen ... You can also try to unplug your network cable and check if there is a delay even when you have no i-net connection .

9. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

I just disabled the ESS splash, and that seems to have shortened my startup delay somewhat. :doubt:

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This is good , why " :doubt: " ... The splash screen is not an important component at all . I have a threory (if might not be true) that delays are seen because the egui runs with low priority (waitservice) . It will disappear and icon on the systray appear when the computer is "free" . You may have some more important (with higher priority) things to load (e.g. the network and the Automatic Updates in Windows are always with high priority) and that's why you may see a delay . This is my theory :D and might not be true , though :thumb:

11. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

When I have more time this weekend, I will uninstall ESS and then time my startup process with a stopwatch from the moment I see the Windows splash screen until everything is fully loaded.

After doing that, I will reinstall ESS and repeat the test. That should be a very good indication of what delays the ESS startup process is contributing.

Thanks, I will report back after conducting the tests.
    Jo Ann

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Don't forget , between reinstalls to delete these folders
    - C:\Program files\ESET
    - C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Application data\Eset

Impatient to see the results :thumb:

13. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

Some of this can probably also be laid at the feet of it still being a Beta build too. I'm sure that it's going to improve as they get things tweaked up.
    I know certain startup programs can cause AV scanning engines to be slow during startup, it's most likely not a slow ESS startup but more likely that it's slow during the startup scan of a certain program or service that's causing the delay. Just as hitech boy pointed out with another user's Skype version, it may be something in your startup config that causes ESS to be a bit slow in scanning. Again, once the engine is optimized for release, I'm sure we'll see better times for this too.

Good Luck!
    Dave

14. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Does any software run on your computer at startup to provision (create or otherwise establish) your broadband connection? If so, what is that software?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

15. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

Also, I don't really see what disabling the Splash screen will do to make bootups faster, it's not like it does anything.
    It only is displayed while the product does it's background stuff and really has no part in the startups. Enabled or Disabled, the background processes have to run regardless so I can't see how having it disabled will make any noticable difference. It's only a splash screen after all and not doing anything other than sitting there while the program configures things in the background. Once the program is finished doing what it needs to do, the splash screen goes away...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.