Major problem with VirusScan Enterprise

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Hitman3266, Apr 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hitman3266

Hitman3266 Registered Member

Hello, well i have used mcafee virusscan enterprise before. now im trying to reinstall it (after like 8 months) and like after 20 reformats, i now have windows XP sp2. (before i had sp1) and after i install it, whenever i boot up, on windows it almost immediately says SYSTEM SHUTDOWN, something blah blah svchost.exe error and system will shut down in 50 seconds. i KNOW this is from the virusscan, but HOW can i stop it? is it compatible with sp2? please, i cant use it i had to go into safemode to turn off the virusscan services from starting up. i just love the speed and the backbone style enterprise versions..its 8.0i

2. mcbyke

mcbyke Registered Member

Boot into safe mode, open virusscan console and disable "buffer overflow protection". In some systems, that option seems to cause windows to shut down. Windows XP SP2 is not affected by this vulnerability, so maybe that's why it crashes.

3. IBK

IBK AV Expert

it is compatible with SP2.
    you could try to stop the shutdown with "shutdown -a" and then investigate why it happens.

4. Hitman3266

Hitman3266 Registered Member

thanks, turning off the buffer overflow fixes it. i did a custom instlation without installing the buffer overflow. i would have never guessed

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes, but I would still keep a close eye on the updater, Framework Service, if you are auto-updating ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.