Major problem with TI9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by vizitour, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vizitour

vizitour Registered Member

Hi - I received my boxed set of TI9 a few days ago and made a image of my clean installation of Win.98SE on my Dell Dimension XPST 700 with a 19G HD on a cd. After installing my hardware & software plus the microsoft updates I tried to set up a "Secure Zone" On my first attempt my pc locked up and I had to hard boot it. The second attempt appeared to be going all right but then I got a message saying windows was going to reboot but instead of it rebooting I got the hour glass busy sign. After a few minutes of waiting I rebooted again. This time instead of getting back into Windows a black screen appeared with a column of items then my pc shut down. I rebooted and was advised to start in Safe mode. After rebooting again the black screen was there and my pc shut down again. Using Norton Go Back I restored my HD to a point before I started TI9.
    Can any one Help. THANKS

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I do not use Norton Go Back so I cannot give you any definite answers. However I have picked up in passing that there are some difficulties generated if Go back and TI are running at the same time. A search of this forum and the FAQs should get you sorted .

Xpilot

3. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

I agree with Xpilot, Go Back should be disabled whenever TI is to be used whether creating or restoring images. If you were to use Norton Ghost, the first step in that program informs you that you need to disable Go Back before proceeding.

Mine own experience with Go Back is that it is a great program as long as it does not become corrupted. If it does then you are snookered and you will have difficulty with your TI in restoring the image. The difficulty, of course, will depend on whether you stored image is in a Go Back environment.

Now that you have obtained TI, I suggest that you uninstall Go Back.

4. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

If you read the FAQ on the Acronis website it will explain why you had the problem.

This is an exact quote:
    "I have Norton GoBack installed. Can I use Acronis True Image 9.0 Home??
    The thing is that Norton GoBack modifies the existing partitions' type (FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, etc.) into its own format, making them incompatible with the existing partitioning/imaging software while GoBack is active. This way Norton GoBack prohibits other applications from changing the partition table. So, for specific Acronis True Image 9.0 Home functions you will need to disable Norton GoBack first:

If you want to use the standalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home
    If you want to restore a disk/partition from a backup
    If you want to manage (create, resize or delete) Acronis Secure Zone"

The last line is the one you need to pay attention to.

I personally would not use Acronis Secure Zone, my preference would be to image to another hard drive rather than use the one hard drive and then use Acronis Secure Zone.

I have used both "Trueimage" and "GoBack" together since Trueimage version 6 and never had a problem, in fact this was the main reason I stopped using Ghost and started using Trueimage.

I make all my image while GoBack is running without a hitch, just remember to NEVER do a restore or use the Acronis resue CD while GoBack is running.

John.

5. WWS

WWS Registered Member

It surprises me that you made an image with ATI and yet afterward you were able to restore with GoBack.
    Massive file activity always wiped out GoBack history for me.
    Just one of the reasons I don't use GoBack any more.
    I feel I'm much better off using ATI and FDISR.

6. vizitour

Hi - Many thanks for your responses, glad to know what direction to head. I should have spent more time on the forums before jumping in. I wonder whether the image I took while Norton Go Back is vaid. - -Thanks again

7. vizitour

Hi Again - I forgot to mention, when I took the first image, I had'nt yet installed Norton. Probably the reason the image is probably OK.
    From perusing the forum I guess my next step is to see weather I have the latest driver. Thanks Again

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

That is very good news.

I would suggest that you boot from the TI Recovery CD and restore your TI image. At that point, you should have a clean system that runs well without GoBack. Proceed from there to install other software and configure your system making periodic TI images.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.