Major players set to enter Internet TV business, reshaping content delivery

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SweX, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://broadcastengineering.com/ott...ternet-tv-business-reshaping-content-delivery

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

They need compelling content and competitive pricing to compete against cable and satellite TV pay services.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

They need to be able to avoid being sued into oblivion before they need anything else. Unfortunately that's not likely to happen. In order to avoid even some of the court battles, independent studios will have to come up with new content, pay for the production and pay the likes of Netflix, Google and others to get out there. It will not air over any cable provider or even local stations (local stations are owned by the big guys too).

Then, once they've done that, they'll get sued for harming the big networks. And, if they manage to avoid those court cases, guess what will happen to the internet services you get through your ex cable TV provider..prices will go into deep space.

Youtube subscription channels and Netflix coming up with one or two original shows won't cut it. You're going to need another Ted Turner with the money, know how and the clout to pull any real competition off.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´m not sure what to think about these internet TV services, I have yet to buy a smart TV, but I think that cable companies should start to wake up and just copy services like NetFlix and Hulu.

They could charge for example 10 bucks a month extra for unlimited access to on demand movies and series (+ Catch Up TV). And everything is delivered via the stable and fast cable signal, no need for the internet. :)

Interesting stuff, about making STB´s interactive: http://www.activevideo.com/file/1457/ziggo-casestudy.pdf

5. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Recently bought a Roku box.
    Best investment I ever made. Cut cable TV service next day back to basic $12/mo. (local channels only).
    Overwhelmed with the channel selection (plus I'm saving $50/mo.).
    Got sick of paying for cable: 285 channels yet nothing on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.