Major Avira Updates

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by QBgreen, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Many updates to the modules, virus defs. Running Premium Suite, 77 files have been updated! Go to the Avira forums for more info.

2. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

One thing added is password protection for configuration as well as protecting other tasks and parts of the program. Very good! Went smotthly regarding the Suite update here.

Gary

3. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I had this today with the PE Classic version as well. Thankfully, despite the size and amount of updates, the download speed remained fast from Avira servers.

4. shek

shek Registered Member

under the extended threats catagories, one item called Application is added. Does anyone know what's that?

Regards,

shek

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

seems they got it in the end:thumb:
    i did suggest that to them a while ago and no doubt others did as well.
    lodore

6. waters

waters Registered Member

I am thinking of changeing av.I have tried all evening and can,t update

7. jlo

jlo Registered Member

I have not been able to update either but its due to a large update. On the forum it says try later when the servers are not over loaded.

I only use the PE edition and understand that the people using the premium editions have the faster servers.

Since Avira have gone to incremental updates I have not had any problems up until now and I would not switch over just because of tonight.

My advice stick with it or updgrade to the premium edition as its good value.

Cheers

Jlo

8. waters

waters Registered Member

Cant even get on homepage here

9. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Nor me,

Must be really busy.

10. waters

waters Registered Member

Just got it

11. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

If you have a WinXP system, why just download this IVDF (Unicode) archive from here and extract it to the C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic folder? I'm sure this is a temporary problem and it will be vanished tomorrow.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

12. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I guess I should be glad I got my update early.

It doesn't surprise me that with an update of this size, and the amount of users that run the free AntiVir PE that this would cause some serious problems. Especially with their increased popularity lately.

Hopefully this doesn't effect their paying customers, but I believe they use separate servers anyways.

13. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo Registered Member

I've been waiting for 5 min
    and now it's updating ( some 4MB)

14. DaveD

DaveD Guest

At least as far as new installations are concerned, they should be recompiling an updated installer sooner or later that will have these latest updates included.

It looks like they have extended the license to 31/05/2007, so I'm guessing they probably will recompile an updated installer soon to include that as well.

15. huntnyc

Noticed after major update for the suite, under expert configuration under guard scan settings mine is set now to scan file extensions that are in the program's list instead of using smart mode or scanning all files. Anyone else noticed if that one or any other of your settings have changed after the update.

And, do you think I can leave it at that setting safely? Thanks.

Gary

16. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Well, I am a fairly new Antivir Classic user, about 1.5 weeks. But that setting was there also before this day's update (3960 kB). And is also mentioned as default in the help file ;)

What worries me about these incremental or larger updates. Is there any chance that something, some virus definitions might get missed. Can one trust the update system? With Avast I never felt this much worried as I am now. Waiting hours for the update o_O

Jarmo

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I do.

18. huntnyc

Thanks guys.

Gary

19. jlo

jlo Registered Member

All updates came down fine later this evening.

Thanks Antvir!!

Jlo

20. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I would set it back to scan all files it seems safer to me

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Events tab now has more info and filters. License was also extended to 31th May 2007.
    Oh and heuristics are now FINALLY enabled by default (Medium sensitivity). Thats a good sign as it will only help increase it's detection rate even further while help kill all the false positives (if users will be willing to submit the files).

22. extratime

extratime Registered Member

I guess I am the only person having a problem getting this mega-update. Have tried repeatedly and after downloading partially I get an error, and the update stops.

I am using the the free version (on a secondary PC).

23. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I did try yesterday many times from the 'Start Update' and finally I got it.
    So you are not the only one.

There seems though still some problems, since this morning update servers (here in Finland) could not again be reached by the automatic once/day update.
    It will not try again today since it failed? And I will have to remember to try to get the virus definitions manually today?

24. extratime

extratime Registered Member

Thanks Jarmo P! I'll try to update later on.

25. DaveD

DaveD Guest

It looks like my AntiVir PE is stuck now. I got the major updates quickly and successfully yesterday. Now today, during a regular virus def update it appears to be stuck.

I have it set to update in invisible mode, so I can't exactly see what's going on now. It is set to update everyday at 12:00pm. The icon disappeared at 12:00pm and it is now 1:15pm. So 1 hour and 15 minutes so far.

I am somewhat new to AntiVir PE, so hopefully somebody more experienced with it can answer this question for me...

Am I still protected during this incredibly long update time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.