MailWasher Email Checked for Viruses?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by phpmaven, Jun 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phpmaven

phpmaven Registered Member

I am using NOD32 2.000.6

I have recently started using MailWasher which basically downloads email from your pop account and then deletes it from your server depending on whether it flags it as spam. In fact, I am downloading email from 6 different accounts.

My issue is this: Before I started using it I would get a dozens of infected emails to those accounts. But it seems that when Mailwasher downloads those same messages to my PC, they are not triggering a virus error. Now, it's my understanding that Mailwasher only downloads part of the message to detect spam. It is also not really an email cleint, although you can preview the messages that come in. So perhaps since it is just downloading raw text, there's no chance for a virus to be launched.

Anyway, I am just a bit concerned that a virus may slip in somehow.

Thank you for your help

Mark

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

First, you should download the latest version of NOD, unless there is a reason you haven't upgraded yet of course. I believe we are up to 2.000.9, Second, I am not sure what your question is here. If you still use your email client (POP3) then IMON would pick up any nasties for you, or if you check through a browser AMON would do the honors. I haven't used Mailwasher but I cant imagine any other way that wouldn't be covered by AMON or IMON.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Here

4. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Eggzactly!

Mailwasher is checking your mail at the Server level, so any infected emails aren't even reaching your computer in the first place!

But once you have MW process your mail, and have your email client fetch it, then you can be absolutely sure that Nod32 will kick in should anything be amiss! :)

5. phpmaven

phpmaven Registered Member

Thank you for your prompt replies (more than I can say for ESET support)

Actually, the way Mailwasher works is that it actually downloads a copy of each email using pop on port 110 but doesn't delete it from the server. Once it determines if it's spam, then it deletes the email from the server.

Iv'e updated NOD32 to version 2.000.9 as per your suggestion.

I guess I'll just have to assume that Mailwasher is not downloading any virus attachments in such a way that the can infect me or they would be getting caught.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.