mail server

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chaos16, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

Hi

The business i work at is planning on doing there own mail server.

Our idea is to tell our clients to change with us and we would recieve there mails and then distribute them to them.

Now the difference with us with others is we want to put an antivirus to be able to scan all incoming mails remove the ones that are malaware and then automatically distribute them to the right client.

Now i have been looking at Plesk and CControl.

is there one as good as Plesk but open source?

and also witch is a good antivirus for Mail servers?

i know that Kaspersky has one and i know that its a really good antivirus but its old 5.0. though i would imagine it new.

though if anyone has a system like what we want to do what antivirus for server mail are u using?

we don't fancy using F-secure coz it heavy on resources.

if anyone can help me thanks its appreciated :)

2. chaos16

can anyone help me please :)

3. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

I use ClamAV on mine: http://www.clamav.net

Open Source, about 3/4 million signatures, multiple daily updates, the daemon is fairly lightweight.

I've got it running on CentOS under WHM, works a treat and i don't even recall the last time something got through it.

4. chaos16

Cool thanks

Though u have to pay for WHM as its CPanel.

Is there a good open source one? thats up to date?

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    For Microsoft Exchange Servers, we use Eset NOD32.

At many clients I also run a dedicated UTM appliance in front of the Exchange Server, www.untangle.com
    The free version has basic scanning of mail traffic via ClamAV, a basic SPAM filtering package, and Phishing protection. E-Mail end users receive a daily spam quarantine digest sent to them, which they can easily manage. The have pay-for add-ons...you can add Kaspersky as a scanning engine, and CommTouch Spam booster...which really works well. If you're going to provide a service for end clients, I'd seriously consider going with professional paid apps such as the above...instead of purely free packages and making a sourceforge house.

We also utilize Postini for many of our clients with smaller budgets, they have a good reseller package with support. And for some higher demand clients with fatter budgets, MXLogic and Appriver.

How many clients are you looking to host for?
    And what do you plan on using for SMTP outbound...and working with PTR/RevDNS. As well as failover MX and spooling/queuing of e-mail if a service becomes unavail?

6. chaos16

Yes what we want to achieve is. to receive emails from clients our server scans them and all and then automatically distribute there emails.

So using a program like plesk.

we are starting to test hmailserver. though would imagine that its not as good as plesk

7. chaos16

Ok we have been talking about getting Plesk

One thing i was looking at is the prices etc etc.

the point is to use the antivirus and antispam.

I see that we can use Spamassasin. and also there is an extra addon called SmartMail that says works with Spamassasin? is it a good idea to use 2 different antispam? which one would u recomend?

Also it gives an option to use either Dr Web or Kaspersky.

Which one would u recomend? i know that Kaspersky is a very good antivirus no idea about Dr Web.

Also if anyone here uses Plesk in there company could u let me know. i would like to know if you have to pay only once and thats it or monthly? i have been looking at the site but some say monthly and yearly like antivirus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.