Magic Packet

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stugtina, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stugtina

stugtina Registered Member

Tried using MC-WOL.exe and WOLCMD.exe as a magic packet but only way I can get either to work sufficiently ie switch another PC on the same network is to Disable Firewall. Rule was added all was fine according to the log but still no joy. Worked fine under XP. Fresh Windows 7 and ESEt but no dice unless disable.

Tried some GUI but all same not working

Any ideas?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. stugtina

stugtina Registered Member

Hi ,

Thanks for the response...

It may be similar however I had viewed the topic and thought it was not exactly same.

I tested limited but still...

ESS under Windows 7 testing Magic Packet > reports success but actually doesn't wake PC
    Disabled firewall ESS under Windows 7 testing Magic Packet > reports success but actually does wake PC.

Only difference is Disabling the firewall... not sure how a different network card relates to what I would say is more software related issue (not actually accusing any particular software).

Would be a really nice to have resolved as it was something I used often.

4. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi stugtina,

Please make sure you're running the latest version (4.2.71) of ESS.

If so, since it seems to be a firewall-related issue, I recommend to create a log of blocked connections as described here. This may shed some light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.