Made a foolish mistake signing up for my first VPN 6 mths ago. Need advice.

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Snowden, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowden

Snowden Registered Member

I know one shouldn't blame ignorance...but I blame my own ignorance

I signed up for a VPN almost a year ago (off shore from the US and they claim not to log) I used (and have been using) a card that is in my real name.

Question: If I cancel the card, the account and sign up for a different provider using a prepaid card or bitcoin would it help me regain some of my privacy and security?

I love my current VPN provider and I'd hate to lose them if it's not necessary.

I'm not concerned or "threatened" that my name is potentially out there...i'm just an IT Security guy who prefers to stay in the shadows.

Obviously, I'd have to use different user names, email address etc...

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Can't you just cancel your current account and then re-signup with the same provider using a different username and payment method?

3. Snowden

I see what you're saying...if there isn't a paper trail tying me to the business any longer it shouldn't be an issue. However, if the IPs I use are still that of the VPNs IPs it would defeat the purpose...wouldn't it?

This is more theoretical than anything.I don't have a *need* to do it but as I'm learning more I'm trying to follow and apply proper privacy and security methods in my day to day

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I don't think that it matters very much. Any VPN provider that you connect to directly knows your IP address. And your ISP has logs that show your IP address history. Using "anonymous" payment methods would deter adversaries that could get data from your VPN provider, but not from your ISP. But your ISP might give you up to a VPN provider that claimed abuse, so o_O

If it bothers you that your VPN provider knows your identity, chain another one through the first, and pay for that one "anonymously".

5. Snowden

Thanks,

I guess I wasn't sure if this was a potential security weakness or not. So the earlier suggestion about getting a new card and new account should be sufficient?

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Even if you get a new account using a new card, there are still ISP logs showing that you connect to the same VPN, and (potentially) VPN service logs showing your ISP IP address. Linking your new and old VPN accounts would be trivial.

7. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

If it's not a PITA for you, and you want to do it, do it. While it may not help, depending on the situation...I don't see how it hurts. I use a One Hop from home...don't care, I'm a boring guy :D ... but I always use BTC.

Now...if you *aren't* currently set up for BTC...it may be more trouble than it's worth...up to you.

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.