Macs, Hackers and the Computer Security Game.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nadirah, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Macs, Hackers and the Computer Security Game

Posted November 5th at 1:00 am | Tags: Apple, hackers, security |
    technewsworld.com

“The Macintosh is a tantalizing platform for hackers, especially because of the perception some have that it is bulletproof, perhaps the most secure platform on the market. Yet, such perceptions may not be accurate. Security vendor Internet Security Systems found that there were three times as many vulnerabilities found for the Macintosh in May of this year as there were for Windows.”

More»

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    We're back to 12 vulnerabilities versus 14.44 vulnerabilities. Mass propaganda and fear mongering on behalf of share holders. That's why security forums are flooded with Mac users asking for analyses of their HijackThis ... wait, those are Windows users ... with their precious IE.
    Mrk

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

lol you cant blame Microsoft for having tons of users and being a main target.
    also randomly i think microsoft have out done themselfs with the new windows media player 10 its great in my opinion.

i want tons of people to get macs so they get targeted with all the malware instead and stay with windows then everyone will say i hate apple it has so many security holes.

lodore

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I don't like empty talk.
    Mac / Linux ... has had more vulnerabilities than ... I absolutely hate those kind of analyses. They portray ... nothing. It doesn't matter how many or why or where or which - the only thing that matters is if people got infected. And the answer is - Windows users, yes, many, Unix users, no. That's all.
    "Experts" telling me to buy $25 anti-phishing toolbar for my anti-spoofing toolbar is pure propaganda. And to tempt you off the free alternative called Unix, they add that ... it's had as many vulnerabilities as ...
    I'm still waiting for a little .avi that shows a Firefox user clicking something in a browser and then 10 seconds later his homepage is changed and he gets all sorts of icons twinkling in his systray. And this is only Windows.
    So much of the market is based on pure fear mongering, bombarding people with useless statistics that mean nothing. Like comparing Windows and Linux, as if Linux is a single operating system. While there are maybe 10-15 versions of Windows, there are 300-400 versions of Linux, so even if you have 20 times more vulnerabilities than Windows, you're still on equal footing.
    And then ... most of Unix based vulnerabilities are LOCAL and not REMOTE like Windows. Most of these vulnerabilities are less important. And so on and on and on. What you get is money-based propaganda.
    Mrk

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

You got it right on the money Mrk. :thumb:
    It is nothing but propaganda.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U are exactly right but u must not forget market share of Windows and Linux/ Unix/ Macs.

7. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Market share of servers is a different story, and those are targeted by the better hackers, trust me ;)

Alphalutra1

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ah... Ur point is good, never thought in that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.