Macrium Reflect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Stigg, Nov 23, 2013.

1. jphughan

jphughan Registered Member

Maybe. But someone with that outlook probably either keeps paying their subscription as insurance (valuing saved time and aggravation more than saved money) until they’re sure that they no longer have a need for the backups created by that application. The fact that several applications, including some backup applications, have switched to a subscription model tells me that not everyone feels as you do — even though I personally always prefer perpetual over subscription when it comes to software.

2. jphughan

If you only allow single-boot media, then if you choose BIOS in Rufus, you'll create bootable media that will only boot in BIOS mode and therefore will always install Windows in BIOS mode. Same if you go with UEFI. So the worst case here is that you might create media that doesn't boot at all, but if it does, then Windows Setup will install the OS on your system in a way that matches the selection you made with Rufus.

By comparison, with multi-boot media and a system that is configured to support both BIOS and UEFI booting simultaneously, which many systems do allow, the way Windows installs itself will depend on how you booted the install media on that particular occasion. Typically in this scenario, the system boot menu shows two entries for the same flash drive. One entry boots it in BIOS mode, and the other boots it in UEFI mode. That isn't obvious to everyone, especially because the entries aren’t always next to each other. So if you're not careful on a boot menu, that same flash drive on that one system could end up installing Windows in either BIOS or UEFI mode — and you might not notice the problem until after Windows had completely installed.

The hotkey to enable dual boot support in Rufus is Alt+E. Note the message you'll see in the status bar at the bottom of the application. At that point, if you choose MBR, you will see a Target System option called "BIOS or UEFI" rather than "BIOS (or UEFI-CSM)".

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  3. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Thank you, JP.

Switching between UEFI/BIOS Mode doesn't affect the Partition Scheme and Target System dropdowns.

4. jphughan

Not really any information here that would help provide assistance, assuming you'd like any.

5. jphughan

@Hadron Here are screenshots showing Rufus in the default dual boot mode disabled state, and the enabled state. As you can see, the Target System option changes. Maybe you can use these screenshots to figure out what's different about your setup.

Attached Files:

6. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Thank you, JP.

7. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Expect another update soon.
    The tray icon is broken in 8.0.7167.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Updated to 8.0.7167, tested successfully to backup and restore, although I'm pretty sure the loading of the rescue media to restore took longer than usual. My tray icon is fine.

9. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

make sure when creating the rescue media to hit ADVANCED then uncheck enable wi-fi support.

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks, but I have never done it for years, and loading of the rescue media was always fast, by the way this was a hot restore using the embedded boot menu (I never had to perform cold restores so far, except for testing purposes).

11. aldist

aldist Registered Member

The trial period can expire and then MR cannot be started or installed.

12. rpk2006

rpk2006 Registered Member

13. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Is Control-Alt-M broken in yesterday’s update?

It no longer opens the progress dialog for me (v8, paid).

14. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Lots of bugs being reported with this update on the Macrium forums.
    Maybe add that to the list.

15. jphughan

Yes, that’s how trials work. But it gives you a month to recover data from a backup solution you previously decided you no longer want to keep paying for. If you need longer than that, then once again I would argue that using an application to work with existing backups rather than creating new backups is still using it. Either way, I wouldn’t consider a subscription model to mean that your backups are being held hostage — even if Reflect were sold on a subscription basis, which it is not currently.

But if people can find a permanently free solution that works the way they want it to, then good for them.

16. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

I second that.

17. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Hope so. Else ...
    Likewise, I have two paid licenses, but will need to look again at alternatives wherever I use the Free version.

Clearly, the consumer market is no longer meaningful to them.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  18. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Wish I had seen that earlier: all my incremental backups have been renamed to *.error_loading and I can't see progress because the monitor is broken.

What a mess!

19. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Me too. Just updated. :(

20. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

Why should they keep developing updates if nobody is paying them? Do YOU work for free?
    In a 'consumer' market, you PAY for what you consume.

21. Oldie1950

Oldie1950 Registered Member

Absolutely right. The expectation that everything should be free is simply unbelievable. No one performs a service without receiving something in return.

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Too bad that Macrium is going down the tubes. People/User's are or have been genuine customers (like a loyal family member or friend if you will), even free version one's, NOT just consumers to be treated lesser than any other. That horrid word for a description of good user's is contemptuous and been carelessly burned into the populace within this greedy economy of the 21st Century Generation. As a product of the 20th Century, it's become more obvious to us every year that passes. But that is what it is and will only get worse unfortunately.

As for free versions of any software creation, that FREEdom has always been time limited eventually and at some point no one should expect it to last as long as some do. You just have to keep your last version and wait it out until it is of no use anymore. Or comb the market. When one freebie dies off there's always another that rises to fill that space. It's been the same since Windows 98 (or 95 for some).

On another note MS Windows Teams is given ALL software developers fits and cost them enormous extra efforts and monetary expenditures every newly released version and bares some responsibility if you ask me. Which just goes to show (as usual) newer is never always better no matter the hype.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  23. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think the free version is nonsense, it certainly curtails their income, and as a matter of fact the nominal fee for a home edition is too expensive, it should be under $50, most people would be able to afford to buy a license. This is the reason I stopped using the excellent Storagecraft ShadowProtect desktop 10 years ago, it was a whopping $90 for a home license, and they had no free version.

25. jphughan

I don’t think Home is unaffordable. Many people pay every month for entertainment things like Netflix and Spotify subscriptions, and also make monthly payments to have recent models of smartphones. Reflect Home is protecting your data and saving you time if you end up with an OS problem, and it only requires a one-time payment that is equivalent to only a few of those monthly luxury items.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.