Macrium Reflect problems

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by RootAccess, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RootAccess

RootAccess Registered Member

Hello,

I have only one hard drive and have used software to make two partitions out of it. One is the primary active partition where my operating software is stored and the other for my backup image. Since it is the free version Macrium 5.0, I made a backup CD to to do image restore. I boot to the CD and can't get beyond a particular step. It asks me to choose a target disk, but there isn't anything to select. I'm stuck at that step. This is exactly what it says at that step:

Choose target disk. Select a disk to be used as the restore target.

I also tried to back up the hard drive to a bunch of blanks DVD discs. I can't seem to load the image up when I select the dvd-rom drive as the source of the image.

Thanks for the help!

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Just choose your C: partition as the target drive. The step is there in case you want to restore your image to a partition other than the original one. Does it not give you the option to select a target partition?

3. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Such annoyance comes out to me several times also. With Free version 4 and using Linux boot recovery media.

My advice is to use v. 5 and to do a Windows PE boot disk; with that is easy to find target disks (external USB disk e.g.). With Linux disk your problem could appear unfortunately.

4. RootAccess

I made a WinPE disk. What's the next step? Unlike Linux, the screens don't automatically pop up.

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

You need to start WinPE disk somehow. E.g. in my 64-bit HP laptop I need to click "esc" and select boot device option. It start boot CD then.

6. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

Same here...check the boot order for sure. Let us know how it goes!

7. RootAccess

It's past the boot screen that I don't know what to do. I see three icons on the bottom. The shut-down button, dos command prompt, and a icon for compuers. I clicked on the computer icon, and it presents the C drive. I tried to start macrium from there, but the program won't start.

8. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

9. layman

layman Registered Member

Reflect may not load if the boot disk is missing drivers your machine requires. That situation cannot be handled with the Linux disk, but you should be able to add missing drivers to the PE disk. The necessary drivers might show up in a future PE release, but until they do, the "fixing" is something you have to do.

I'd advise you to seek help on the Macrium forum's boot disk section.

10. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

The disk built with version 5.0.433 worked OK but the disk built with 5.0.4076 did not work !!

The launcher was hung with no messages and no GUI, there was a desktop but the disk was unusable.

Awaiting the next update. Hoping that it be will fixed then.

I thought this may have been "RootAccess's" problem.

rrrh1 (arch1)

11. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

Apparently the problem is fixed in version 5.0.4118. Tried it today and the PE disc worked.

rrrh1 (arch1)

12. napoleon1815

I just picked this up, so thanks for the information.

13. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the info - and by share with us the annoyance. ;)

In FREE v. 5.0.4118'log:

14. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I installed latest version, V5.0 build 4118, and I created the Rescue CD, Linux version because I cannot download over 1GB of files as my internet is too slow, but when I went to restore the image, the window where you choose target destination is completely EMPTY and I am unable to restore the image! :thumbd: :mad:

Why is the TARGET window completely EMPTY?

Is there a solution, besides having to download over 1GB for the Windows CD Rescue?

Why don't the Linux rescue CD work properly?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  15. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Is adviced to use WinPE Boot Disk

Hi TheMozart, similar annoyance had RootAccess I thing; also I had that with v. 4 Linux Boot Disk. It's why I use now WinPE Boot disk without issues.

For some reason is not easy to Linux disk to find some devices in system. o_O

16. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Re: Is adviced to use WinPE Boot Disk

Yes, it seems the Marcium Reflect Linux Rescue CD is really buggy. And the problem for me is that I have a very slow internet connection, and unable to download the 1.7GB WinPE Rescue CD option, so I had to remove Macrium Reflect :'(

If I use other Linux CD's, e.g Ubuntu, Gparted etc, they have no problem seeing and finding my devices, so that proves that the Macrium Reflect Linux CD is at fault and poorly written by the Macrium team.

17. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Re: Is adviced to use WinPE Boot Disk

Beyond Macrium I use Redo Backup - live CD is built on Ubuntu - that works without annoyances indeed.

18. napoleon1815

ReDo is interesting...I've used it before with no issue at all. Worth a look, and it's a tool that flies under the radar a lot.

19. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I don't like ReDo because I cannot install it on Windows and backup from within Windows.

I am using Paragon free instead, seeing Macrium Linux Rescue CD is so buggy.

20. napoleon1815

Can't go wrong with Paragon.

21. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Cool :)

I am using Paragon Backup & Recovery™ 2011 (Advanced) Free, do you know how to create a Windows driver based Rescue CD? Because I can only create a Linux driver based one which is always a lot slower then a rescue CD using windows drivers. Any ideas?

22. napoleon1815

I use the paid version (Paragon HDM 2011 Pro) so I haven't had to deal with that myself...sorry. I will see what I can find out...I know the free version obviously has some limitations.

23. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

According to their FREE webpage, I should be able to create a Windows based Rescue CD, but I don't know how? Can you please help me?

24. napoleon1815

25. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

So maybe I misread it. So the FREE Paragon won't create a windows based Rescue CD? That's a shame because all Linux based Rescue CDs are sooooooo slow :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.