Macrium Reflect or Shadow Protect Win 8

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by SourMilk, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

I'm facing a real delimma . I recently bought Windows 8 Pro x64 and want to use an imaging program. I've narrowed it down to either Macrium Reflect or Shadow Protect. I know that Shadow Protect is a higher priced imaging solution, but Macrium Reflect is popular.

Which is system sparing (less background I/O) and easier to operate?

Thanks,
    SourMilk out

*Moderators, I am not trying to cause an A vs B argument, but only asking the community which imaging program of the two would better suit my needs. Thanks

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

It depends on your needs. Shadowprotect has a lot more features than macrium but most of the extra features are useless in a home environment.

Shadowprotect has 4 processes continuously running in the background. A hard reboot will cause the processes to lose track of changes on the hard drive and your next incremental will take even longer than a full image to complete. Macrium has no processes running in the background. Hard reboots does not effect it.

Shadowprotect is too touchy about activations. You will be locked in an endless cycle of activations over minor changes to your computer. I bet if you even sneeze too loudly near your computer, you will probably have to reactivate shadowprotect next time to use it. Macrium does not suffer from this excessive paranoia.

Other than that it depends on what you prefer and need from your imaging software.

3. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

That is useful information. I never tried (bought) Shadow Protect before and probably won't because of its background processes.

Thanks for helping me make a decision.

SourMilk out

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Well im using macrium reflect to create and restore images and do not even have macrium installed.:D

5. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

I've been using Macrium for a year (after dumping Acronis) and I've come to totally trust it. And if you have an issue, their forums are very active with helpful people. Their support is top notch. I recently used Macrium Reflect to move my set up to a brand new computer. Didn't lose a thing.

6. Gorkster

Gorkster Registered Member

I can't really compare the two as I've never used Shadowprotect. I spent nearly a year looking for a replacement to ATI; I didn't want to go through the same nightmare again with another piece of imaging software. In the end my top two were your top two. The two biggest reasons I went with Reflect were, as pointed out, the "monitoring service" which always runs in the background and the lack of support for as many different file systems.

Though I can't compare directly I can say that if I'm not sitting in front of the computer to see the notification when Reflect starts up I often don't even realize a backup has started. Because of this I'd wager it is very "system sparing."

Again, can't really compare ease of operation to Shadowprotect since I've never installed it. I can say, though, that Reflect is very easy to operate. I've used Ghost, True Image and Reflect. Reflect is every bit as easy as Ghost to operate and produces far fewer errors. Heck, I don't even think I've seen an error during an imaging procedure.

The only caveat I'd add is there are some decisions Reflect makes without notifying the user which (at least some) other imaging softwares include in their options. My assumption is Macrium made this decision to make their software easier to use. They're open to answering questions about these things though. One simple for instance comes to mind: disk signatures are either cloned or a new one is created automatically based on specific rules; if you don't know those rules you can't work around them to produce the results you require. (Though the rules are published.) In other software I've used I can simply check on option to make the decision myself. But I can work around this caveat because if I ever have a question about something I search the forums, their KB articles and/or just ask. If I must resort to asking, they are always very quick and thorough with their replies.

PS: I support Macrium by purchasing the pro version of Reflect; I do not use the free version. Also, I've had the same results as @MarcP. I'm incredibly impressed with the software and the integrity of the company. And I am only an end user. A very happy end user, that is. :)

@Beethoven1770
    Using it without even installing it? Are you using that new fandangled (very expensive) version which you can run from a thumb drive? /jealous

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  7. andylau

andylau Registered Member

I have tried ShadowProtect v4 before, but I do not like it. Because it could not restore to smaller partition.

As for Macrium Reflect, I have tried its free version only. But its linux bootdisk does not have backup feature. It can restore only. Therefore, I have never used it.

Is Macrium Reflect's paid version linux bootdisk has restore feature?

For me, I will only do cold image(both backup and restore). Because most of imaging apps doing hot image need to install both program and drivers in current OS and I do not like this. Of cource, I will do hot image only if imaging app is portable.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  8. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi Andylau,

With Macrium Refect FREE version, you can build your own WinPE. To do this, you have to have WAIK installed on your system. With the PAID version, you get the WinPE included with your purchase, therefore no need for WAIK installed on your system.

Have no idea of Linux BootDisk.

Best regards,

9. andylau

Hi aladdin,

Thanks for your reply!

I know I can build a WinPE with Macrium Refect free edition. But I just do not want to install WAIK or WADK.:p

If Macrium Refect free edition linux bootdisk can provide both backup and restore features, maybe I will try it again.:p

10. Gorkster

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Don't forget that Windows 8 still has Windows 7's imaging program available. It's not perfect but it works (it's already there and FREE!))

12. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The Windows 7 imaging program in Windows 8 works... sometimes. I´ve read in Dell forums that when some particular OEM (Dell) partitions are present in the disk, it doesn´t work.

13. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I haven't ran a Dell Win 8 yet. Only an Acer and it ran ok.

Does the process fail during the image creation or restoration?

14. Robin A.

I think the images can´t be created. These are the links I was referring to:

Windows 8 8500 XPS - Cannot backup system or make a system image- error Ox80780119, http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19479488.aspx.

Dell XPS 8500 Win 8 System Image Error 0x80780119, http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19479677.aspx

Backup error 0x80780119, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...b6c-95db-af625f3c9fe7?tm=1358612172605&page=1

15. aladdin

Dear Gorkster,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Luckily, according to CEO of Macrium Reflect, I am covered as I bought my v5 before October 2012.

Even then I have downloaded the copies of WAIK, both for x64 (1.7GB) and x86 (1.0GB), when I bought Image For Windows. Best decision I ever made, now I cannot live without WAIK, as I use it almost on daily basis for all my imaging programs and other programs that require WinPE.

Best regards,

16. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Yes, that appears to be the issue. I guess one could figure out pretty quickly if they are affected by the problem when you try to make a new image. ;)

17. Gorkster

I have it too - I purchased the software in June 2012. However, I assume if/when the next version of Reflect is released (v6?) NOBODY will get the pre-made WinPE "CD."

Honestly, though, in this day and age, it seems odd to me that so many people are so upset by a relatively large one-time download. The result is emergency recovery media which is better than the original anyway because you can very easily load custom drivers during the creation process if needed.

If someone is still on dialup, phone a friend! ;)

18. aladdin

Dear Gorkster,

Very well said my friend. Couldn't have said it better myself. You took the words out of my mouth.

Best regards,

19. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

For those under Windows 8 who need WinPE 4 for USB 3.0 support, it is already happening. But you are correct. It is no big deal to do a one-time large download. Do it once and forget it.

20. aladdin

Dear Gorkster,

I already have WAIK x64 and WAIK x86. I am now downloading WADK. One never know when Microsoft will change it mind, and start charging the consumer for these, like they do to the companies.

Better download now which doesn't cost anything, then be sorry in future.

Best regards,

Mohamed

21. andylau

I think most of the users do not like to download and install WAIK/WADK.

Some companies still provide a pre-built WinPE for users like Symantec, Active@ and etc.......:D :ninja:
    Maybe they have paid for Microsoft to do so?

22. Robin A.

I think the important point about WinPE 4.0 is not that it includes USB 3.0 drivers, but that it provides compatibility with UEFI. USB 3.0 drivers can be easily added to any WinPE.

23. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Symantec is still using WinPE 2.0 that is so old that they don't even support it anymore.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH194877
    Symantec Technical Support for Windows PE is limited to the use and troubleshooting of Ghost. Support is not offered for configuring or troubleshooting Windows PE operations outside the functionality of Ghost.

24. andylau

Symantec System Recovery 2013 is using WinPE 4.0:D
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339525

25. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Don't blame me for the message to be inconsistent. Macrium isn't alone having their license pulled. Check with Paragon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.