Macrium Reflect Free, problem restoring image

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by jakosamlud, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakosamlud

jakosamlud Registered Member

hi.
    I have 3 partitions, C: (System); D: and E:

I created image of C: and stored it on D:
    Then I tried to restore it, booted from rescue cd but it shows C: only. Wtf? It doesn't detect D: and E: ...

It is supposed to look like this:
    http://www.pcqanda.com/dc/user_files2/23971.jpg
    I found this image on google, it's not mine. I can see only C: partition o_O

How can I fix this?

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What is OS? Whta is file type on all partitions, NTFS or FAT32?

Seems an issue with your MBR and partition table I think. Macrium is unable to read partition table. How did you partition your hard disk?

3. jakosamlud

jakosamlud Registered Member

windows 7 ultimate 64-bit, all 3 partitions are NTFS and I partitioned them when I formatted system... first i deleted former partitions and then I created these 3 and installed windows again.
    maybe it's because of TrueCrypt's encryption?

4. philby

philby Registered Member

Which MBR option did you select when restoring the image?

Steve recommends opting for the standard XP MBR (3rd option) when restoring unencrypted images of encrypted drives here.

philby

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

while it of course may not be the rule i NEVER keep a image of a partition on the same drive. i always back up to a second drive or worst case disks. even if you have 3 partitions on the same drive... what happens when that drive fails on you?? just a thought for future use..

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I was under the assumption that you must store images on a different physical media. Partitions of the same drive will not do in restoring AFAIK.

I have had issues in the past (don't remember if it was macrium specific) attemting image work from the same physical drive. I always create the image onto a different media (other hdd or network share) and then restore from again not the same physical disc.

Macrium is capable of creating an image of partition 1, the boot partition, and restoring it on another drive even. The mbr is stored in the image, and you can replace the mbr of the new drive with the mbr from the image. I have done this many times. You can even take an image of a partition from a SATA drive and use it on an SSD drive, providing the image is the same size or smaller than the new drive/partition.

Sul.

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Could be but I don't know for sure. *Edit* oh, never mind, it looks like philby's link explains this.

The recommendation I've seen and follow myself is to always backup to two separate physical locations, or more if desired but probably overkill. So there should be no problem backing up to the same physical drive on another partition, and then at least one other separate drive, otherwise your approach is is sound.

Just minutes ago I completed a successful restore of an image stored on the same physical drive but different partition using the Macrium free boot cd on the laptop. Shadow Protect will work this way, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010
  8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Hmm. Must have been one of the other imaging titles that did that. Or maybe it was that you can't write to the same physical disc. Seems to me it might have been ghost, but I don't remember. This is good though if macrium does not need a second physical disc, only a partition.

Sul.

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

If you meant it's not possible to backup a selected partition to itself then you're right; it's not possible with Macrium, and certainly not even with ShadowProtect either. It is possible with Acronis TI.

Attached Files:

10. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Been doing it that way for years.

I still copy/paste images and needed data stored on D to an external drive just in case.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

yes, and I have done it so many times with Acronis.

12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Hmm. I distinctly remember trying to image with one phyiscal disc but two partitions, and it would never work. Is this a limitation of older ghost products maybe? I have always used other media since that point because of that. I am very glad to hear this. Now if only I could get partition magic to work in win7/vista...

Sul.

13. newbino

newbino Registered Member

(slightly OT) Sully, try Partition Wizard - it's freeware for home users, it's solid and since version 5 it works just fine on Win 7

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Sorry but I have to support this slightly OT post :) Sully, this is a fantastic partitioner. I just use the free cd and it works brilliantly on Win 7, though I don't know about Vista.

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

That is a nice tool.

I copied the .iso to my c: drive, and made an entry in my menu.lst as such

Code:
    title OPTIONAL -- Boot Partition Wizard from iso (if present)
    find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /pwhe5.iso
    map /pwhe5.iso (hd32)
    map --hook
    chainloader (hd32)
    Takes about 1 second for it to load. Very nice indeed. Thanks!

Sul.

Sorry, now we can get back OT.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, why do you need a partitioner with Win 7. As far as I know Win 7 can partition even ur C drive with live data on it.

17. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yes you can partition and resize. But it is limited. Partition magic let me do a lot more things, such as combining all free space again, changing cluster sizes, backup mbrs, etc etc.

I ran into the problem where a boot partition, 200mb, was abandoned in favor of using the c: drive instead. Windows 7 had no option to allow me to recapture that space, especially considering that during install the drive was split in half for 2 partitions.

I dislike the way win7 assumes you want or need a boot partition when you use a raw disc. I have to give the disc an active partition at minimum, then install 7 so that it does not build that boot partition of 200mb.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.