Macrium Patch; Do I need a New Recovery Disc Now?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Daveski17, Apr 2, 2015.

1. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I don't use Reflects multi-boot function so I have to make changes in BIOS to boot from the USB stick.
    If you use the multi-boot function you don't need to change BIOS.

On my system BIOS sees my USB Flash drive/stick as a "hard disc" when specifying Boot Order:
    "USB-HDD0 Corsair UFD" needs to be moved to be the first in the list.
    and
    I select the First device type to boot as:
    "USB-FDD"

USB-FDD really applies to the format, not the size or whether it spins or whether it's a floppy disc or a USB flash 'stick'.

The sticks that I have are both 16GB and, in their day, were fast enough but now they're so slow compared to SSDs that mine sat on a shelf until I started using them for Reflect Recovery media.
    They're only USB 2.0 but they are still able to boot in 45 seconds compared to about 205 seconds for a DVD Recovery media. That's 4.555 times faster (saves 160 seconds)
    J

2. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Oh, and it takes 45 seconds to create the Recovery media using the stick and 134 seconds using a DVD which is 3 times faster.
    The stick is USB 2.0 and the DVD burner is Sata2.
    Times would reduce if using USB3.0 and Sata3.

3. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

My suspicions were wrong.
    The tech support at Macrium confirmed that the licence number will not be an issue but there may be an issue if the Rescue media was created on significantly different hardware re drivers included in the Win PE iso from the 'other' system.

So it's best to create your own as soon as you install or update Reflect, and the best media is a USB stick/flash drive and it's even better to use two of these sticks in rotation.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you were using a USB 3.0 stick on a 3.0 port on the computer your results would be radically different

5. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I believe you Pete, I have USB 3.0 ports but haven't bought any USB 3.0 sticks. And I probably won't.
    Although it's fun to see the speed increases, in real life (mine) I won't be doing very many restores, and updates to Reflect aren't all that frequent to worry about a few seconds. But, the main benefit is that I won't end up with any 'coasters' that I've had in the past and I won't have to fill my dustbin with obsolete Recovery DVDs. (Yes, I use DVDs rather than CDs because I have lots of them and no other use for them now that I back up my movies to HDDs, and that means that now I have no use for them at all, so I guess they'll still end up in the bin :().

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

If the speed of booting into the recovery media is so important to you then why don't you copy the Macrium Recovery environment on your SSD and boot into it from there. It will be even faster. The downside is that in case your HDD failed you wont be able to use this process, but lets face it, how often do you expect a HDD to really fail. You can always make a usb based recovery media for HDD failures and boot through your SSD for normal day-to-day operations.

7. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

That is why I have a bunch of CD and DVD RW media. I just erase old ones and re-write them. Good for movies and TV shows we missed as well. After we watch them we erase them.

8. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

You're absolutely correct, I was simply comparing USB to CD/DVD. I have Reflect for bare metal restores which I hope won't happen before I've already decided to upgrade my SSDs or other PC gear when Reflect can recover to different hardware. I always create the recovery media just for those situations.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.