Macrium Image Destination Location?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by TomAZ, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

What are some acceptable destination locations for a Macrium Reflect Image backup?

2. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Another hard drive other than the OS drive.

3. ssbtech

ssbtech Registered Member

I do two backups. One to a network drive, and another manual backup occasionally to a removable hard drive.

A big power surge can take out both your PC's drive and a network drive, so having the backup on a detached drive keeps it safe from this. Also, a virus such as Cryptolocker could encrypt data on your network drive. Again, having a backup on a detached drive would save you from this.

4. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I agree, in fact I have 3 detachable drives, each with a copy of the latest image based on the Reflect VERSION used to make the images which may appear a bit extreme but I already had the drives and docking station so I used them.
    I only make an image when there's a new version, I have Reflect Verify the image and then I swap between two SSDs that are my system drive and restore the new image to doubly verify that the image is OK. That means that I make the image, disconnect the current system drive, connect the alternate system drive and restore using the corresponding Recovery media.

I don't update Reflect every time there's a new version, in my setup Reflect is only intended to avoid having to reinstall Windows especially for a Bare Metal Restore, possibly on new hardware. For day-to-day backup, especially when installing new software and/or software updates, I use First Defense ISR snapshots.

Data is on a separate drive (G) which gets backed up to (H) and periodically to the 3 detachable hard drives.

J

5. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Mine is a folder within a data partition (that is separate from the OS partition) on an internal drive. I use a file sync program (FreeFileSync) to sync the Macrium Reflect backups to an external drive. I also sometimes use FreeFileSync to compare the two to check for file corruption in my backups.

6. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

I backup to an external hard drive which is then mirrored regularly with another external hard drive.

7. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

A lot of people here use a detachable hard drive but I've been using SanDisk flash drives and they work fine. The drives I use for backups I don't use for anything else and I always use two different drives in rotation so as not to put all my eggs in one basket. I just like the convenience of flash drives and SanDisks are dependable as long as you don't abuse them. I'd recommend never using DVDs. It's slow and takes too many disks, two at a minimum, and you have to insert new disks each time the previous one gets full.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.