Macrium error - 13 - broken pipe

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Enfrance, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enfrance

Enfrance Registered Member

I've started a new thread because after a serach I could not find any reference to the above.

I am using a trial version of Reflect - just to try it having read so many good reports. I have XP running on an elderly (6 years) Acer desktop which I will replace soon hence why I would like to clone the 300GB hard drive. I have formatted a 400GB WD external drive so that I could clone a copy of my working hard drive to it. I went through the intro part of Reflect, set the size of the drive to the same amount and then started the cloning procedure.

After 1% of the overall progress and 100% of the current progress, ie. copying GLOBAL ROOT .... VolumeShadowCopy1 the cloning procedure stopped and a warning in red came up 'Clone failed - Read failed - 13 - Broken pipe'

I'll refrain from silly gags about plumbing but can anyone please explain what I am doing wrong?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. Enfrance

Many thanks, STAPP for that link - so much for my search.

I tried chkdsk but I had failed to explain something which I didn't realise was important. When I turn on my computer I no longer see the BIOS pages. I have a completely black screen until the cursor shows up and then the Windows log on screen. This started some months back and I was advised that the graphics card was on the blink.

As a consequence I cannot see what exactly chkdsk is doing although when I tried it via 'run' in Startup it did some work and then reverted to the Windows home screen without comment that I could see. I looked on the Western Digital website and have run their diagnostic program and there does seem to be problems on my hard drive.

I will look for a repair program to see if that might fix it. Frankly, I suspect that the time to buy a new computer is at hand :rolleyes: Thanks again.

4. Flora

Flora Registered Member

Hi Enfrance.

You didn't change your BIOS setting to Secure Boot at any time, did you?

5. Enfrance

Flora, to be frank I wouldn't know how but thanks for your contribution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.