Macrium Backup and Hard Drive

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by wildernow, Feb 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildernow

wildernow Registered Member

I backed my drive c to a external hard drive using Macrium about 2 weeks ago.
    Now I am trying to back up but it seems that I have to format the space on my external hard drive. It seems I cannot have more than 1 image at a time saved.

Does anyone know if this is normal or more than 1 image can be save on the same partition?

Also I tried to backup incrementally but this also failed.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Paid or free version?

3. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

Yes, you can have multiple backup sets saved on one partition. It sounds like you've run out of space on the external drive. What are the sizes of your C drive and the external?

4. wildernow

I have 500MB external hard drive and Macrium Paid version. But I also have another image from another program saved on the same partition.

5. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

500 MB? or GB? You didn't state the size of the C drive that you're trying to back up. All you have to do is take the size the external drive divided by the amount of used space on the C drive to get an approx. number of backups that will fit on the external drive.

6. wildernow

now I installed Novabackup instead. It works a lot better but making an image took a long time.

it is now as fast as macrium but it seems to be error free.

mc

7. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

You can save as many images to a partition as you like, up to the capacity of the partition. However, you need to have just one imaging software running at a time. Some imaging software conflict with each other or engage the VSS writer, in that case the second software can not take any images.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.