Machine Hangs 15% of the time on Boot w/ V4

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by JackBileDuct, Mar 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackBileDuct

JackBileDuct Registered Member

I'm about fed up. V3 BSOD's my machine and no official word on getting it to work. Several here state they have went to V4 as they never could get V3 to work. Fine I'll upgrade ( thanks for the heads up Eset - not ). So now I have V4 and my machine hangs on boot about 15% of the time. This has never happened in the past and the only change is going to V4. Welcome to the Eset beta testers club.

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Inconsistent BSODs typically come from malfunctioning hardware. Have you run system diagnostics to eliminate that as a possibility?

3. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Not if the change was only going to NOD32, unless of the sudden NOD32 places tremendous strain on the CPU/RAM in which case, there goes the "light on resources" claim.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's like every single one of your posts is a moan about resources, I've replied to nearly every single one but you still choose to be ignorant, rude, and spam on. Just so you know my boot time is reduced with v4.

JackBileDuct: I would suggest running a cleanup such as ccleaner then a defrag in safe mode. To be extra sure I recommend you use auslogics' free registry defrag also.

The reason i mention this is because it can sometimes be caused by boot order, hence why it just started happening after installing a new app (v4). Other reasons include not being able to access the internet at startup, but we will come to that later if the above doesn't fix your problem.

5. JackBileDuct

I defrag'd four days ago on Friday night even though Vista said it wasn't needed. I don't think it is resources. I have 8 Gig of RAM ( hence Vista x64 as mentioned in another thread ). I use slightly less than 2 GB under normal circumstances as I am right now. As to boot order and registry, thanks for the suggestino but I don't think it is needed. My machine is only 8 months old and I've never swapped parts or even uninstalled a single piece of software with the exception of going from V3 to V4.

Having repeated "the hang" I guess it is a BSOD. I was advised Vista black screens when it BSOD's and that is what happened to me yesterday morning along with everybody else. Same thing today under V4 when booting occassionally. It posts fine then I get the loading Windows pogress bar. I've gotten the Blue Windows screen right before getting my desktop and and then poof. Black screen and nothing but my fans running. Once it comes up though it seems to be fine.

The only thing I notice in the event log is the RAID controller complaining of a non graceful shut down and that it was gonig to verify the array on next boot.

6. bradtech

bradtech Guest

There might be something to this but I doubt it. I had a Tier 2 Technician tell me that all he did was have me push NOD32 to a users machine. Afterwards she BSoD twice while using Internet Explorer, and never reported having Blue Screens before..

There is no proof that this is related because like someone else stated most Blue Screen of Deaths are usually hardware related.. Never the less I have got Blue Screens in Vista because of my Motherboard Chipset *nForce 550* *Secondary processor blah blah blah*.. If I go back to XP I get no BSoDs ever.. So I am not convinced a BSoD could not be software or device driver related. There is a Gray area..

It would be terrific if you could retrieve the crash dump using the Debugger Service.. A Kernel or Complete Memory Dump would be terrific..

7. JackBileDuct

Hmmm...maybe this could be it? In advanced mode / tools / scheduler there is an option for "Automatic startup file check - System startup file check - User logon"

I'm the only one with access to the box so I do not have to enter a user pass. I happened right after the Welcome to Vista screen which is when you would be prompted to log in. I just unchecked the option and rebooted twice ( not much of a test I know ) and it has been fine.

As to it being hardware, I'm just not buying it. No hardware changes and yesterday is the first crash I have ever had. Coming here I see others crashed at the exact same time. I'm 100% certain that was V3. Now that I've moved to V4 I have had the boot issue. Had the boot problem happened at least once in the past I'd buy hardware but the first one yesterday certainly being Nod32 I have a hard time believing the ones I see today on boot aren't V4.

I'll report back if I successfully come up clean more times with the option unchecked.

8. bradtech

bradtech Guest

If I were you.. I would uninstall NOD32 in Safemode.. Reboot and witness what happens.. If it still happens then keep disabling things in msconfig-startup area..

You also might have to do a fixboot or fixmbr..

9. JackBileDuct

As you can see others have posted with boot issues under V4 now. As I said we are beta testers. The issue seems to be with x64 systems. I really hope this gets ironed out. I have had no problems with V3 until Monday and at this point I think Eset and Nod32 are lacking to say the least. I'll give them some time to get it ironed out but regardless this is unacceptable and not the way you go about updating / upgrading a program. I own part of a datacenter and have 300+ servers under my control. Our current AV product is coming up for renewal and I was talking to my techs about using Eset a couple of weeks ago. This week has negated Eset for any consideration in my datacenter. We have SLA's to meet and I can't have my virus program costing me $$ in SLA's due to Eset. Thank God I only use it on my home machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.