Mac & Windows Compatible File System & Drive?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by frank7, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank7

frank7 Registered Member

Helping a friend get her data off and old Mac and shifting it to a new Pc. Did some research and in the end got this Seagate drive because of good reviews but also because it says on the site: "NTFS driver for Mac pre-loaded on drive".

Quite disappointingly and to my surprise the drive did not work out of the box with the Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 Build 9L31a, 2.13 GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3. Plugged it in the "new" Pc, a Lenovo T420 laptop, and it had read and write access without a flaw. This was also somewhat embarrassing for me since I said it would work out of the box, relying on what Seagate advertised.

After a bit of back and forth she unplugged the drive she uses for connecting to the TV where she uploads movies from the old Mac but also from another friends HP/Pc laptop. There she said she can save movies from both boxes with out any issues.

As a test we plugged it into the old Mac and it did read it perfectly fine, then in the T420 and bang that worked 100% as well and this was an old old little Samsung drive. It is the Samsung S2 Portable 320GB HXMU032DA/G3. Kinda funny that this worked out but the brand new freshly ordered and unboxed Seagate Backup Plus Portable 1TB drive did NOT work.

Now I would like to make this new Seagate drive compatible between Mac and Windows as well.

What do I need to know and where do I start? I assume I need some sort of driver?

Thank you for any help with this.

Best Regards

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

3. frank7

frank7 Registered Member

Does this include downwards compatibility with Mac OS X Version 10.5.8? Might be that the issue with the Seagate drive is that the Mac is version 10.5.8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.