Mac Reboot when emptying recycle bin

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by MacRene, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacRene

MacRene Registered Member

I am running Snow Leopard on a MacBook Pro and installed NTFS for Mac. I however now started having regular requests to reboot my machine after a kernel panic. This happens consistently when I try to empty the recycle bin. When doing this the system recognizes thousands of deleted files and then straight away gives the black reboot screen. When deactivating NTFS the recycle bin shows as empty, so this has to relate to files on the attached (2TB) disk.
    On the older forum I saw this issues occurring with others as well, so it does not look to be a new issue. Any suggestions/idea of whether this is a known issue at Paragon?

2. hrabineczka

hrabineczka Registered Member

Hi MacRene! I have the same problem and it is driving me nuts! I have 1TB and 4 partitions. I emptied one of them and even tried to format it into native Mac file system, but this is impossible. It gives me error CANNOT MODIFY PARTITION MAP. I understand I can format the whole 1TB external hd with new partitions with FAT, but I cannot. I have plenty of files many of which I wish to delete and I can't because system freezes and I have to reboot as well. I don't want to bother friend of mine and borrow his external drive to copy all my files into it and then format my ex hd, that would be too time consuming. So WHAT NOW? The only work around I could think of is using boot camp, installing Windows on Mac and from there delete files I don't need from ex hd. But again it is a lot of hassle. NTFS for Mac works like a charm until one has to move something from ex hd to the bin. I wonder why does it happen and why there is no REAL solution for it, as I googled the issue on numerous occasions. Any help would be appreciated.

PS. Maybe there is another program similar to Paragon NTFS without this issue?

3. MacRene

MacRene Registered Member

I do not think you have exactly the same issue as I am encountering. I did do some further investigation and found out that I am able to empty the recycle bin on a 4GB memory stick, but not on the 2 TB disk. I connected the 2TB disk to a Windows XP system and ran chkdsk to fix errors. It does find errors and fix them, but even after that emptying the bin on the Mac results in a reboot. I am contemplating about manually deleting the directories that seemt to contain the deleted files (not sure why there seem to be 2 directories), but will try to find out first if that is risky or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.