Mac OS X VPN Client... Tunnelblick and Viscosity

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Rigz, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Rigz

Rigz Registered Member

Is there any really good reason I should go with one over the other? Anything better I should consider?

2. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello Rigz:

I am completely cognizant of your right & desire for privacy. With that in mind, please let us know your general location and the locations you would likely tunnel to.

On one of my systems, I run OS X 10.11.3 and I know about both of the above applications, yet I decided to go with Private Internet Access (PIA), on all my systems, for a year after a one month trial.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  3. Rigz

Rigz Registered Member

Are you using PIA's client to connect or an alternative client?

4. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

I am using PIA's clients (which use OpenVPN). In addition to a MacBook Pro, it's installed on 3 various Windows systems and an Android based tablet so far with expected results in all cases. I need to get PIA going on some Linux systems too.

The reason I asked about geographic locations is that I did not want you to experience unacceptable latency issues.

HTH

5. Rigz

Rigz Registered Member

PIA has servers in a close enough vicinity that it isn't an issue. I actually already have an account with them that I paid for with a giftcard I found on the ground a while back that happened to have $25 on it lol.

Anyway, I was just curous about the different clients becuase I was reading and noticing PIA's client connecting to IPs with Ruby outside of the server I was intentionally connecting to (reported by Little Snitch). Tunnelblick didn't do this when connecting to servers in PIA's list, and I also installed the Viscosity 30 day demo last night, and it didn't do it either so it's specifically something with PIA's client.

I should have been more specific and given more background in my intial post as to the reason I was looking at Tunnelblick and Viscosity.

On Linux I use OpenVPN NetworkManager and haven't had any problems.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.