Mac Lion Runs Extremely Slow with NTSF

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by johnboy71, Aug 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnboy71

johnboy71 Registered Member

I am running an iMac Intel Core Duo, 3.06GZ and 4GB Memory with Mac OS 10.7 Lion. I installed a trial version of NTSF for Mac. As soon as the driver was installed and the Preference Pane opened and my NTSF formatted external drive was mounted, my whole system slowed down immensely. My menu meters registered constant activity from 50-80%, even with nothing running. Everything took forever to open and respond. After taking forever to uninstall NTSF, my computer is back to normal. I would like to use NTSF as I have a WD 1TB NTSF formatted volume which needs to be shared with another Windows user, but I can't take a chance on buying it until this problem is solved. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

Hello johnboy71,
    Could you please check what process is utilizing your CPU resources?
    I would recommend you to create a request to Paragon support team.

3. johnboy71

Here's what I found. It appears the problem occurs only when the NTSF drive is mounted. When it's not, the Finder uses approximately 28MB of real memory and 23MB of Virtual Memory. When the NTSF drive is mounted, the Finder alone uses 2.45GB of memory and 3.65GB of virtual memory - notice MB vs GB. I have 4GB real memory available. Normally, when I start up with no other programs running, my computer uses about 1.4GB of memory.

As long as the disk isn't mounted, everything is fine. I couldn't get to the actual CPU usage in the Activity monitor when the NTSF drive was mounted because the Activity monitor stopped responding, along with everything else, and I eventually had to force a shutdown on the computer, disconnect the NTSF power supply and reboot.

Please note that when the drive was mounted, I hadn't even accessed the NTSF preference pane at all. The trouble started as soon as the drive was mounted and no other programs were running.

4. johnboy71

Update to last reply. I guess I missed the CPU% column when I looked before, so I tried mounting the drive again. As soon as it was mounted the Finder started using 98-102% of the CPU usage, and I watched as the amount of memory steadily increased to the amounts I mentioned before. When I tried to eject the disk, I couldn't unless I used the Force Eject command. After the disk was ejected, the Finder slowly gave up its memory and usage % and things returned to normal.

5. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

6. knussear

knussear Registered Member

Im also having repeated crashes/kernel failures. I tried to get the new version 9.5 from the link you posted, but I keep getting a 404 html error.

7. Mephist

Mephist Paragon Support

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.