Mac-like for 0 money & why you shouldn't use Vista

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Inspired by iceni60, I have been playing with Ubuntu a bit, trying to make coolish desktop, although I believe my styling skills are not among the highest.

But I did manage to make a pair of sweetish desktops, by playing with panels a bit, resizing them, coloring them etc., and finally sprinkling them with useless yet eye-candy desktlets (sort of widgets).

All this using nothing but Ubuntu-given tools.

One more reason why not to use Vista.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/ubuntu_screenshot_1.jpg

http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/ubuntu_screenshot_2.jpg

Enjoy,
    Mrk

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nice desktops.
    the only reason i havent switched to linux is that some of the apps i use arent avalible on linux.
    example
    sonicstage
    sonyericson phone software.
    the other problem is a choosing a distro.
    there is some stuff i like in ubuntu but there is somestuff i like in linspre etc.
    to many choices
    why cant there be one distro with all the software avalable?
    i think thats the reason so many people use windows becauses its all GUI and all the software works with it.
    so until a linux distro compatible with all the programs its not gonna get mas appeal.
    my next pc will probaly have windows XP home again.
    unless all my software is vista compatible with at least SP1 out.
    its evident all the software you use there is a version of it for linux.
    but some of my stuff is tied to windows.
    i use sonicstage everyday for my music.
    its easier that way since i have a sony MP3 player.
    lodore

3. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.

I must admit that at least 90% of apps I use is cross-platform. But some are only for Windows and some for Linux. That does not stop me from using both.

Saying one distro with everything available means a distro that offers about 50GB of programs. It's like saying all the apps for Windows...

But the beauty is, you can install anything you want.

I don't think a music player should be a limitation to prevent you from moving to Linux - as I'm sure that if you try hard enough, you'll find the way to work it out and operate it properly...

Mrk

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the problem is that atrac3 format used by sonicstage and sony music players is a closed format.
    i didnt mean have all the programs preinstalled in one distro.
    so do you mean you can install any program for linux in any distro?

BTW i dont like gnome but i like KDE alot.
    if you wanted the stuff you got in ubuntu for windows Xp you would need like 5 bits of third party software.
    lodore

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  5. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Hey, nice desktop dude!
    I've got pretty much the same running SimplyMEPIS 6.5 (KDE).

@lodore: why not convert atrac to ogg? It's free and works on Win/Mac/Linux:
    http://www.sonicspot.com/switch-audio-converter/switch-audio-converter.html
    For the Linux install, you'll need Wine, which is just an Open Source implementation of the Windows API and is included with most current distros by default to run Windows apps. If it's not included, you can always add it.
    Alot of programs can be compiled from source to run on your distro and FYI Kubuntu is just Ubuntu with the KDE desktop pre-installed.
    If you have the time and a fast connection, just download .iso's of different distros and tryout the Live CDs. That being said, you can pretty much add whatever Linux software apps you want. Another good thing to check are the user forums for the distro in question.
    Check out http://distrowatch.com and use the handy pull-down menus to compare distros to see what's included in the default installs, what package management system they use, etc.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the reason the files are in atrac format is that i can transfer them to my sony music player easy.
    if i was to convert them i would have to copys of each file on my pc taking up extra space.
    i have a fast connection and sometimes download random distros to try them out.
    so far ive tryed ubuntu,mandriva and linspire.
    i couldnt download mandriva spring distro because everytime to tryed to download the speed was like 0kb per second LOL.
    lodore

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

If you prefer KDE, then try Kubuntu.

As to why there is not one distro... one word... Freedom. I wrote about this subject recently.

http://www.ngr78.co.uk/articles/view.php/90

8. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I would really like to migrate but it's allready taken me all week just to get ubuntu started. :'(

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

Very nice and tastish wallpapers. :) I am running Ubuntu in VM - getting acquainted...

10. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

No problem.
    Just open Synaptic and search/install the following two packages:

kubuntu-desktop
    kde-core

You won't be losing any functionality of your installed apps. :)
    If you change your mind later and want to switch back to using the Gnome Desktop Manager, open a terminal and type

sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm

and choose gdm instead of kdm.

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Mrk, this is the image you can use to change the panel -
    http://www.gabrielteratos.oi.com.br/black_bar.svg it's from here
    i'm using vista atm, but if you right-click the gnome panel and select Properties, then something like Backgound>Image you can tell it to use that image for the panel there. here are some more -
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=469840

here are some more ways to make ubuntu like OXS -
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412086
    http://www.taimila.com/ubuntuosx.php

i like the dock in this one -
    http://www.supriyadisw.net/2006/09/ultimate-ubuntu-dapper-look-like-osx

and these are the widgets i use -
    http://osnovice.blogspot.com/2007/05/dashboard-in-ubuntu-linux-with-compiz.html
    i think this is the home page
    http://hendrik.kaju.pri.ee/ubuntu/dists/feisty/all/

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Very Nice Desktops. Thanks for the screenies.

I been sitting on my Unbuntu install disc for awhile now and just seeing those inspires me to start toying with it again.

I agree that ANY alternative O/S is a better decision than Vista. In fact, there are many Vista ehancements programs that already been ported to XP so theres no way for me to justify switching to the demands of $M's latest skeleton O/S. I got ALL that eye-candy already on XP without the extra harrassments overhead that Vista demands. ;)

If not for the fact that XP Pro is as very flexible as it's proven to be i'm convinced i would likely have been thru with anything $M by now, but theres still plenty of miles left to explorer with XP that trump anything Vista can or will offer even in the future by some PATCH or SERVICE PACK. :D

13. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I had windows vista on a new computer I bought, and it reminded me alot of LINUX which I have tried on occasion especially the oversized icon's and the complexity of installing program's. I removed Vista and reinstalled WindowsXP. Vista is too bloated at 9gb on the system folder and feels very slow. I believe Windows Vista and LINUX are now on a more level field with LINUX actually having more programs/drivers available that actually work without complications. I think I'll give Unbuntu a try and see if that will be my next migration, Vista is definitely not for me, WindowsME was more user friendly than that monster.

14. Durad

Durad Registered Member

15. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

17. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Mr.K,
    You rock my world. I'm liking the Linux thing thanks to you, and that web page of yours.

18. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Haven't paid a lick of attention to Vista, except to see a few different screen variations. MS forgets, looking like Linux isn't going to make it Linux any more than putting a Cadillac body on a Yugo makes it a Cadillac.

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You can get a Mac Pro. Anyway I'll be reviewing my options after October when Leopard ships. :cool:

20. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Enigma, thanks.

Chuck, Yugo is a very respectable little car. Runs about 15-16 km per liter or 40 miles per gallon. Beat that with a Cadillac. But MS sucks...

Mrk

21. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

They sold Yugo's here in the States briefly some years ago. Most ran well from what I gather but had a bad habit of leaving parts behind, such as mufflers, etc as they went down the road. Maybe the newer ones are greatly improved, but the reputation they developed here killed them in a short time.

As for Microsoft, they make a very good mouse and keyboard. The wife and I both use them. Except for the OS, neither of our computers uses Microsoft anything. It's all open source where possible or from another vendor. I'm drifting toward Linux more each day.

The wife is a bit intimidated by Linux plus has graphics development and paint software that she won't give up, so will likely stay with XP.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes but at £1299 i cant afford that....
    if only macs could be priced cheaper then more people would ignore vista.
    i think for my next cheap pc i will ignore vista and get XP.
    lodore

23. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Attached Files:

• desk.gif
      desk.gif
      File size:
      143.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  24. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Well theres always the Mac Mini. Just remember to BYODKM — bring your own display, keyboard, and mouse :)

25. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    yankin, how about a link for those of us who wish to tamper?
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.