M$ Update 'Disk'!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Cochise, May 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I sent off this week for M$ Disk containing all their updates etc., with a view to D/Ling a few well selected updoodies onto my OS in minutes instead of days (I'm on Dialup).....have any of you fine people ever used this method..

Cochise, :cool:

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, I got the disk a while back when we had a big thread over in "software and services" about it and lots of folks ordered it. However, I did so merely to file it away for archival purposes. Some dark and rainy day, I might need those and not be able to get 'em anywhere else. I know there was some other stuff on it, like an AV trial or something, but I think there would have been uproar around here had it installed without asking or anything shady like that.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I think one of the points made over in the other thread was that if you're ever forced into a reformat-reinstall situation, you've got all the updates (as of the CD release, anyway) right at hand without having to download them again.

4. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

I didn't realise that the M$ Disk was kind of old hat....I've actually never heard anything about it until I got my 'Computeractive' Mag last week....sooo cos it was free it appealed to my mean side which then convinced me to order it by Email.....although I did find that to get anywhere on the way to ordering, I was required to get a Net. Passport?.....was that good or not??

Thanks for the Input Chaps....

5. dog

dog Guest

Hey Cochise, :)

You weren't alone ... I hadn't heard about it either until this thread. And now it's on it's way! :D

Thanks

dog - *puppy*

Here's the link if anyone else is interested: Microsoft Security Updates CD

Ps. this link to ordering the CD did not require a .NET Passport ... the Passport was only needed after ordering IF you wanted to receive any of their newsletters.

Cochise ... BTW ... I have a .NET Passport ... it hasn't caused any problems ATM.

dog - *puppy*

6. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Cheers dog....glad I wasn't on my own with the 'M$ Disky'......and to put your mind at rest....I dipped out on the newsletters.....I subscribe to nothing that I don't want.....know what I mean?....I should have posted first before sending off...your Link would have saved me a lot hassle....there's me thinking I was a Trail-Blazer :D :D

Must admit tho' although I have never D/Ld a M$ update in my life (Don't like things you can't uninstall) I'am looking forward to the disk just to see what is on it....I suppose it will be as upto date as poss....and at my age I have decided to live dangerously..... :D :D......What the He*l!

Cochise, :cool: (Over and Out!)

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Muah hahahaha!

Cochise = the newest newsletter subscriber, like it or not :ninja:

8. dog

dog Guest

Yup ;) ... Cochise ... Like it or not ... having to input an email address for that CD ... Probably started a landslide into your INBOX ...

You'll love all that Microsoft Spam!!! :D ROTF

dog - *puppy*

9. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

You BAD Detox....you really Bad......Listen, I unchecked everthin'...no way they gonna send me mail.....If they do I will sic my Darlin' Wifey Janet on 'em....then they'll be sorry.....her look can kill at 100 meters...so beware all who try to stick it to me.....pain and disaster await you.....(Not you dog, your nice).

10. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The update cd's are of course one cd of updates and one with trial of an av. I inserted the update disc and it said I had sp1 installed and I needed to take no further action. If you have xp sp1 you already have all the updates on the disc. but like it was said it will be nice if a reformat is ever needed. ;)

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, enjoy your "net passport" anyway, CoCheese :D

12. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Ohhhhhhh!..Noooooooo! :eek: :eek: :'( :'(.....Save me!.....Save me!...

13. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

*cough, cough* You mean like resetting your preferences so that Internet Explorer/Outlook Express become the default browser/email programs? (Service Pack 3 reinstalled Outlook on my system after I had spent half an hour exorcising it :( ) Or recreating all those wonderful Start Menu/Desktop/Launchpad shortcuts that we find so useful like MSN Signup and Hotmail... :'(

14. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

I think there should be a forum called tips and tricks

for example rel useful newbie frindly step by step pics useful tutorials

threads made for viewing and not replying lol keep it clean forum.

for example how to make your owen microsoft update disk with all updates including upgradeing the cd

to even makeing a profestional cd useing great software like autoplay media studio or dozen of cheaper programs that do the same thing.

or how about simple fix's

every have your pc stop installing software

says something like unable to installl blah blah blah

turns out your microsoft installer is currupt

most people reinstall there wholw os

i just click update on my microsoft word and it installs the latest microsoft instaler forceing itinto the pc

or how about when you cant view movies cedec curruption

or hey how about how to save things you see on the net for your owen personal use

example those cool flash cartoons of movies you watch or those asf or straming media thats actualy save on your pc but you dont know it

but you wish you had it

lots of cool stuffs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.