LXLE - Not much here just a bit of praise.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by zapjb, Apr 29, 2015.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Background: have an ancient desktop, some stats 2500 Barton CPU - 2x 512MB RAM - Nvidia 32MB integrated graphics - HP printer DJ 640c.

So after support ended for XP. Only option was Linux. I researched, used like 10 LiveCDs, & installed 3 or 4 distros. Because the LiveCD environment works doesn't mean the installed version will. Hard knocks.

Settled on Kubuntu ~14ish LTS. Worked but with annoying video flickering. Other distros didn't work as well or at all. Not much stored on it, mainly for printing. So the annoying upgrade to the new Kubuntu version message has been annoying. So disregarding prudent procedure. I installed v15 through Muon. Borked it, no video. I take full responsibility.

So repeating the above steps I settled on LXLE 32bit based on Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS. The LiveCD enviroment was just ok. But installed on this hardware LXLE runs well & no video flickering.

I'm glad I borked Kubuntu. LXLE runs so much smoother.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

That's interesting. I've got an old XP box that was put in storage and never used to its potential. The hardware is chronologically old but relatively unused as I switched to a Vista laptop when Vista came out. Plus, I've always liked SeaMonkey.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Give it a go. LXLE or some other distro should reclaim the usefulness of that XP box.

4. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Kubuntu, specially the 14.xx version, is very hardware intense on older computers. You could try disabling the Desktop effects, which makes KDE as fast as the other competitors (XFCE, LXDE, etc).
    You could try Lubuntu, which uses the same Desktop Environment as LXLE. But since you're there already and no problems, then why change, right? :)

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Kubuntu was flawed & barely usable on my PC. LXLE makes it a pleasure when used. Some distros doesn't play nice with some hardware. I've tried at least a dozen distros with half a dozen DE on this old XP PC.

LXLE is the best of them all on this PC.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.