LUA???

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Currently I have everything that can connect doing so by DMR shortcuts. I know there are some alternatives to DMR, gone over at length here; however I either did not fully understand how to implement, or see a huge advantage over DMR.

Should I download something using my DMR'd shortcut for FF, doesn't the LUA end after its on the machine. Or it's on LUA while FF is dealing with the file?

If this is correct I see little value to DMR'd shortcuts, and it would be better to have a LUA account.

Is there anything like up my rights? Run LUA account then assign chosen programs admin via UMR.

Thanks
    Rico

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

The current darling of this type thing is SuRun. It works good in most environments. It allows you to 'up my rights' so to speak from within a LUA. I found it to be a little flaky during a LAN party recently. Maybe it is not meant for many games without rebooting. Nice program though if you don't have too many things that need to run with admin rights, like drivers or apps like Unlocker.

Sul.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Right!

If you want to drastically torque down your system almos to a solid static state, SuRun is a welcome prevention app and espcially when teamed up with some supporting casts like SRP + Kafu.

Sorry, i'm still burning a trail with XP Pro SP1/2, no Vista whatsover, waiting on Windows 7 period!

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I made a LUA account of the 26 desktop icons on the admin, only 8 showed up on the LUA account. Any easy way to get the missing icons with functionality of the admin.

FF & Thunderbird - Bookmarks & old mail how do you get into new LUA?

When I get the LUA account icons & functionality, I'll surun the progies that don't work.

Thanks
    Rico

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

This is most likely because the software installed under that admin account, thus the shortcuts are not in all users. Log in as admin, go to that desktop, copy them and paste them to the LUA desktop.

Sul.

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

FF bookmarks - how do you get these into the LUA ff?

Thanks
    Ric

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Here is the deal. And this is for any program pretty much. If the program is using 'profiles', it means that your settings etc are located somewhere in your profile directory (c:\documents and settings\your name\some folder). In this instance, you can go into admin mode and export the bookmarks etc to shared docs. Then you can go into your LUA and import. Because the LUA profile has write access, you can import those addys and use them.

Now, IF you are not using profiles, normally, then the program stores settings in the c:\Program Files\program folder. As a LUA, you do NOT have write permissions by default. So in an instace like this you eihter rely on pulling the same bookmarks from what is already there, or you log into admin and place some there.

The concept of using profiles is a good, especially when using LUA, as it is restricted and needs to be able to write simple things like bookmarks. Either way, you need to export the bookmarks from FF in admin, and then import them in LUA, providing you have profiles.

Just an FYI.

Sul.

8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Thanks Sully,

Take Care
    Rico

9. Rico

Rico Registered Member

How do you get Roboform to show in the LUA?

c:\program files\common files\robotaskbaricon.exe "fail"

after 'roboform' is on LUA, from admin Su run...

Thanks
    Rico

10. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

When you installed it you may not have checked the box to install it for all users. Maybe try re-installing in your LUA account by right-clicking the installation file and selecting start as administrator. I use Roboform in an LUA without any problem, but I installed it for all users. Hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.