LUA vs. Administrative Account

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by rOadToIS, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

I heard that working and surfing under the limited user account can significantly reduce the chance of getting infected by malwares.
    However, I use DriveSentry, ZA Antivirus with firewall, and MBAM in my administrative account. Should I use limited account just to reduce the chance of getting infected, although I have strong security softwares intalled in my administrative account? o_O

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

If you have the time make a system and then goto http://kay-bruns.de/wp/software/surun/ and download SuRun. Install SuRun giving elevated permissions only to those programs that really need it. Remove your other security programs and run with SuRun for a few days. My guess is that you will see a performance improvement and will soon see the benefits of a limited account. If after a few days you feel that you can't live without Security programs just restore your image - no harm done.

3. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

I have been operating under a LUA for years now and have never had a reason to regret it. I don't even have fast user switching enabled. No problems or serious loss of functionality worth mentioning. DL software as needed and then install later as the admin. HTH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.