LUA vs. Administrative Account

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by rOadToIS, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

I heard that working and surfing under the limited user account can significantly reduce the chance of getting infected by malwares.
    However, I use DriveSentry, ZA Antivirus with firewall, and MBAM in my administrative account. Should I use limited account just to reduce the chance of getting infected, although I have strong security softwares intalled in my administrative account? o_O

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

If you have the time make a system and then goto http://kay-bruns.de/wp/software/surun/ and download SuRun. Install SuRun giving elevated permissions only to those programs that really need it. Remove your other security programs and run with SuRun for a few days. My guess is that you will see a performance improvement and will soon see the benefits of a limited account. If after a few days you feel that you can't live without Security programs just restore your image - no harm done.

3. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

I have been operating under a LUA for years now and have never had a reason to regret it. I don't even have fast user switching enabled. No problems or serious loss of functionality worth mentioning. DL software as needed and then install later as the admin. HTH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.