lsass.exe problem finally solved (not malware related)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zopzop, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

I was having the following problems with my laptop for the past 1+ year : Every time I logged into an account on my Windows XP MC pc, lsass.exe would take up 100% of the cpu for a good 3 to 5 minutes and then return to normal. This made my logging into Windows take forever (as you can imagine).

I googled around and posted in this forum and I always got the same answer : it's probably malware. I scanned with everything and it's mother (SAS, Malware Bytes, KAS, AVG, Avast, Dr. Web) and yet no malware was ever found. Some of the more exotic answers I got were things like : delete my prefetch (maybe it was corrupt), transfer my user information to a new user account then delete the old one (maybe it was corrupt), etc..

None worked. I was so fed up I decided to just go ahead and reformat. Yesterday before I went through with the reformat, I decided to google around one last time. This is what I found :
    http://forums.prophecy.co.za/f10/lsass-exe-windows-encryption-22567/

I won't even pretend to say I understand what's going on there but the poster recommended finding and deleting the following directory :
    C:\Documents and Settings\problemuser\Application Data\Microsoft\Protect
    (where "problemuser" is the name of the user account having the lsass.exe issues, for me it was both my admin and user account).

I usually wouldn't delete a directory without understanding what it does but since I was going to reformat anyway, I decided what the heck, let me do it.

I deleted the directory in both my accounts and restarted the pc. Care to guess what happened? The lsass.exe problem was GONE!

I just wanted to share this solution with members on this forum who may have been having a similar problem. I never seen this solution suggested either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.