lsass.exe /I use XPsp2home<ALL CLEAN?>

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by AUXHILLARYmikE, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AUXHILLARYmikE

AUXHILLARYmikE Registered Member

I live in Crosskeys near Cardiff in Wales. United
    HI
    Today i ran my taskmanager and noticed a process called lsass.exe using between 1.2KB to 1.7KB of memory(1.2 when pc is idle rising to 1.7 when connected).
    A google told me this is a Worm! The thing is though, my pc(XPhome/SP2) is fully updated, patched, tweeked and running well! I use panda at present and my system is clean. I`ve ran scans by Trojan Hunter-Ad-aware6pro-spybotSD-Spysubtract-CWSshredder as an Administrator in normal and safe, all find zip. There`s no freezing or un-explained occurrences. So why is this program there? I`ve tried ending it but TM tells me it`s a crucial process.
    Only thing i can think of is that around 12mths ago, before really realising what viruses/spyware was, my pc got infected by a virus of some kind. Looking back i remember the computer turning itself off, freezing and doing weird things etc. After which i ended up re-installing windows twice!!
    Is there any way that this program is a remnant of that episode or is it getting ready to fry my pc. What should i do??
    Thanks
    mike (UK)

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. AUXHILLARYmikE

AUXHILLARYmikE Registered Member

I live in Crosskeys near Cardiff in Wales. United
    THANKS SNOWBOUND!! I feel a bit stupid now. Allthough, The link you provided is the same site that told me the process was a virus, after my first google search on the subject.
    Thanks again.
    mike(UK)

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Your Welcome.:)

If i'm not mistaken, the sasser worm did exploit a problem in lsass.exe some time ago.

snowbound

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Indeed it did, generally this is the first thing pointed to with a lsass.exe error message, though as you have found, it is not always the case...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.