lsass.exe accessing internet

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by nmaynan, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmaynan

nmaynan Registered Member

Does lsass.exe need to access the internet to perform its security functions?

Assume it's not a trojan or any malware (i.e., it is the actual program and not dangerous). Does it need internet access for any legitimate reason on a single computer that goes online to surf the web? The single computer is not part of any network or anything.

2. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

What's the file path of lsass.exe? It must be C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe. To be sure it's not malware, scan it at VirusTotal (don't post the scan result here).

thanatos

3. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

As far as i read about this on the net,yes it does.When i used zone alarm or comodo ,i also got these pop-ups ,got me a little bit-worried,but it's a legit process of windows.It can be malware as thanatos said when the file is not located in %windir%.

4. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Where it want to access? That's help a lot to solve this problem. In my system if it's want to connect HTTP, HTTPS, IMAP (SSL) server IP, SMTP (SSL) server IP or DNS server IP then it's allowed otherwise blocked. I have rulebased firewall so I can't check it now.

5. swami

swami Registered Member

No need to get to net on my computer. I've even closed the service (ipsec) totally.

6. nmaynan

nmaynan Registered Member

I don't think it does unless the computer is part of a networked domain and file sharing occurs between computers.

If it's just a stand alone computer, it doesn't need internet access. I've blocked it and I've had no probs. If I file shared across a network though, then there would be probs if security was set up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.