low on resource usage security help

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by damian666, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damian666

damian666 Registered Member

Hi
    Can anyone help with getting hold of security apps that will not slow down internet and pc.Im using windows vista home premium,have tried eset smart security but was bad on leak tests,tried comodo 3 but it slowed browsing down badly.Zone alarm security suite has no email scanning etc for vista,anything from pctools messes up joost tv.Im after realtime spyware protection,antivirus with email scanning a good firewall with hips may be.would also consider paying for a security suite.Just want something thats light on resources and cheapish,thinking of try norton 360 from my broadband supplier at £4 a month but am worried about that idea after seeing a lot of comments about it being a resource hog.Any ideas would be great
    Thanks anyone

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

You may not like what I'm going to write, but this is super-light on resources:

Firefox as your browser - this effectively negates any need for AS, AT etc.

AVG anti-virus (incl. email scanning if you need it).

Firewall leak tests are overrated - they only kick in once you get infected, which is something you should have avoided in the first place. You can use ZA Free firewall as firewall only and complement it with AVG as your anti-virus and you'll be set. You'll have two simple, easy, lightweight and effective programs.

Most importantly, you'll use Firefox.

Mrk

3. swami

swami Registered Member

My choice:
    EsetNOD32 AVv3
    Soft4Ever Look'n'Stop Firewall
    Opera
    Old powerless machine and no slowdown.

4. damian666

Hi to you both,i use firefox with sandboxie and i have a modem/router.Like the idea of avg and zonealarm.Would you agree with using no script with firefox,Was thinking of using Avast and Pctools firewall
    Thanks

5. bktII

bktII Registered Member

For a firewall, it's hard to get lighter and cheaper than the built-in Windows firewall. No Hips though. What is the status of UAC on your system?

NoScript is a very convenient way to manage Javascript permissions on a site-by-site basis as you surf. Also offers some XSS protection.

6. damian666

hi
    I have uac turned off at the moment

7. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Hi damian666!
    You might want to try this setup:

NOD32 v3 AV
    SAS Free
    Winpatrol
    SpywareBlaster

Very light and easy on resources. You don't need additional firewall app; Windows Vista firewall is good enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.