loving my new Vista

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dark Shadow, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

yep count me as a Vista groupie as well, would find it very difficult to go back to XP

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Something for your reading edification. I am making no statements pro or con concerning Vista. (although I do have my opinions of course) ;)
    I am curious though. How many Vista users here are using it in its` 100% out of the box configuration.....the way I am pretty sure the majority of Vista users are? :rolleyes:

I had another 2+ paragraphs typed here but edited it myself for a multitude of reasons. :blink:

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

How many wifes ( wives) do u have BTW?:p

4. ThunderZ

LOL......my spelling stands corrected. :D

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Nope, may be still not i think. Mrs` should be!( not sure though).

6. ThunderZ

:doubt: That makes 2 of us. Oh...and to answer your original question, I only have one wife. Since she got into PCs I can only afford just one. :D

7. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Hi thunderZ other then adding firefox and thunderbird and my own security apps everything else Is as factory configured and runs perfect at this point. I don't think to many here would leave as Is. most of us here have are own favorite apps

8. ThunderZ

Agreed djohn. But most Members\readers of this Forum are also aware of auto-runs, installed programs adding themselves at start up etc. They tend to keep things a bit leaner and cleaner. If a program causes their machine to lag they look for a cure or alternative. The average users are not aware of these. When you take into account the resources already required by Vista, even Basic, they will considerably impact the performance of the machine. Even today it seems that the "basic" store bought computer comes with only 512 of RAM. While Vista may run fine on 512, that is about it without taking a noticeable performance hit if not out right lock ups.

9. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I agree:thumb:

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

The appeal when ANYTHING brand new is released including O/S p0wed by $M will always be too great to resist for most, it's the ageless classic lure of the FASCINATION for anything which is acclaimed as a better successor to it's former predecessor syndrome :D

11. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

I have had my Vista laptop for about 6 months now. Still not completely comfortable with it. On saying that I use XP as my main computer which is probably the reason on the slow progress with Vista.

But I think I will get to like it as much as XP eventually. I don't have a problem with pop-ups. At this time I would score it a careful 8/10.

12. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

14. appster

appster Registered Member

One big drawback of using a server OS [e.g., WS2K8] as a workstation OS is that a number of valuable workstation apps/utilities will refuse to install on them! :doubt:

Getting back to Vista, other than its 'eye-candy' (themes, gadgets, etc), what does it do that XP doesn't? - except 'eat' lots more resources! ;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  15. ThunderZ

Very true. Many security apps. among them. Or at the very least will not function correctly. Also, many free apps. are no longer free because a server based OS is not considered for home use and therefor violates the EULA.

This was my experience for the brief time I ran WS 03 on a spare machine for classes I was taking a while back.

16. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Advantages of Vista:
    - Better security "out of the box" (ASLR, "standard" user account, IE7, etc). With the exception of ASLR, you can have the same (or better) security using the built-in tools and 3rd-party tools.
    - System-wide instant search. Achievable in XP using 3rd-party tools.
    - Revamped network stack. In practice, it does nothing.
    - New audio stack, which runs in user-mode now. Not big deal if you have a soundcard with good drivers and don't need per-application volumen control, bass management, etc.
    - DX10. Not big deal at this time, but important for gamers.
    Disadvantages of Vista:
    - Slower on all fronts: I/O, memory access, resource consumption, etc.
    - DRM everywhere. An OS designed to meet the expectations of RIAA/MPAA and other user-friendly groups.
    - Compatibility with older hardware.
    - Compatibility with some software.

17. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

@appster You could say the same thing about Vista software refusing to run. If you turn alot off in Vista it really becomes server but still not as fast.

Don't like the Search in Vista.

Talking of compatibility here's the Vista sidebar for XP. :shifty:

http://www.thoosje.com/sidebar.html

18. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I found myself in a situation recently which made me even more wary of Vista than I was already. I had a fairly new Sony Vaio laptop with Vista installed but the owner had started it up one day and it BSOD'd on them and would keep doing so. Any attempt to go into safe mode or any other boot option would result in the same BSOD (error code STOP: 0x0000C1F5).

I didn't think that this was a problem as there was a recovery partition (no reinstallation CD provided). I selected the recovery partition to boot into and promptly got the same BSOD. Feeling that the disk was obviously corrupt/faulty I used my own Vista CD thinking I could at least try to fix the boot issues. I was stunned when I got the same BSOD on booting with the CD :eek: .

I tried an XP CD and it booted up fine. BartPE booted up fine. The only things that failed were any recovery CD's based on VistaPE. Shadowprotect's boot CD failed but the 'legacy' environment booted ok.

This saga seems to show that Vista cannot necessarily recover from this sort of problem itself and you may have to resort to disk utilities running on some other OS. Potentially a problem as more utilities become VistaPE based.

Graham

19. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am useing it out of the box with max settings. Audio, Video, security and so on. Vista Firewall with extended security. Runs absolutly outstanding. :thumb:

20. ThunderZ

No other additional security apps.? No other additional software of any kind?

You have not trimmed the start menu or kept any add`d software from starting up with Windows?

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im still not completely convinced with vista.
    it still crashes quite alot and doesnt always shutdown properly.
    im gonna do a fresh install once SP1 comes out later this month.
    lodore

22. bigc73542

I run NIS 2008
    Spywareblaster 4.0
    thunderbird mail, although I still have windows mail active.
    I have not changed anything in start menu. It runs well enough I haven't had to make any changes. I just haven't had any problems with Vista Home Premium. Never had a crash or other problem. Except for a bit longer boot time, but not much more that the XP Pro that I replaced. Completly satisfied with Vista.

you can see my security in the screen shot

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  23. ThunderZ

Glad your experience has been a good one. I will guess you are running 2 gigs of RAM and a dual-core(?) processor. :rolleyes: While this configuration is becoming more and more main stream, I do not believe it is your standard off-the-shelf PC. You had knowledge of what you wanted\were building for. More knowledge then the "average" user going to the local electronics store wanting to buy a PC with the latest greatest :doubt: offering by MS. The off-the-shelf "normal PC" (budget $$$) is still coming with 512 of RAM and a single core. This is what Ma & Pa buy expecting it to be blazing fast. They have no idea what a GHz is, FSB, do`t know 1 MB from 1 GB. They have no idea about "start-up" items. They do not have a clue about compatibility of software and\or conflicts. It is brand new and it is "just supposed to work". If you even mention an AV to them there answer is usually "Yea, I think there is one on there. :doubt: Then mention updates to them and watch the glazed look start to come across their eyes. o_O You do`t even want to bring up FWs` or HIPS. :blink:

These are the type of people Windows Vista is supposed to be designed for. Yet somehow I think they missed the mark. My .02 and I am sticking to it. ;)

24. bigc73542

Actually what my hardware setup is as seen in the screen shot. It is an AMD Semprom 64 3200+ single core.

Attached Files:

25. ThunderZ

I stand corrected. :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.