Lots of trojans :(

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by sard, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sard

sard Registered Member

Recently NOD32 has been detecting lots of Trojans and worms on my system. I'm careful what I install, run Kerio firewall and only permit programs I'm sure of to access the Internet. I have also been using Firefox and Opera for many years for almost everything but windows update so I'm not sure where the Trojans came from.

http://uberish.fastmail.fm/1.jpg

What do they do? Are they key loggers, or spam forwarders or something else. I've been on broadband for 18 months and apart from a few viruses sent by email I've been completely clean.

After deleting each one, hours later more would appear so I got a bit paranoid and ran TDS3 and KAV 15 day trial in case NOD32 (using advanced Heuristics shell) was missing anything. Sure enough they both found these 2

Trojan.Win32.Starter
    Backdoor.SDBot.ja.

I sent a sample of the backdoor one to ESET (deleted the other before I remembered)

I used to think I was taking enough precautions by being careful and running NOD32 with a firewall but it looks like I was wrong. Do I also need a resident Trojan scanner as NOD32 seems deficient in this department? Would KAV be a better choice, I've heard good things about Boclean but there's no free trial.

Sorry for all the questions it's just that the infections have come as a bit of a shock and I want to stop it happening again.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Is your Windows fully up-to-date?

Cheers :D

3. sard

sard Registered Member

Yep. Windows 2000 all up to date, so's NOD32.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  5. sard

sard Registered Member

Thanks. Unfortunately NOD32 failed to detect some of them so I'm going to have to find another Trojan scanner though.

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I have always used an Antitrojan program to run with NOD as part of a layered defense.

There are a number of free AT programs, but personally I think one of the Big 3 commercial ones, BOClean, TDS-3 or TrojanHunter would be better choices.

Do not be put off by the lack of a trial for BOClean, as they have an iron-clad money back guarantee if you are not happy with the program.

My experience is that trojans seem more prevalent of late ( obviously depends upon your surfing habits ) so you need good protection and cleaning abilities in your defense programs against this threat.

7. bbbsss

bbbsss Registered Member

Take care!

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I would suggest that you run Belarc Advisor to make sure that all your Microsoft hot fixes are working properly and that none have failed. I was surprised yesterday when I routinely ran Belarc Advisor (it had been about a month since I last ran it and I wanted a current report as I print them out) and it found a critical patch had failed. This was a biggie too!
    MS04-012: Cumulative Update for Microsoft RPC/DCOM. It has to be reinstalled. You might have a similar situation with a failed security critical update that might be allowing trojans onto your box. Belarc Advisor has saved me many times on both my W98SE box and this XP one. I highly recommend it. It is free.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.