Lots of IPs conencted to me.. what the?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Nookie, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nookie

Nookie Registered Member

Just checking out CommView to capture some packets and I've just noticed a large amount of connections on port 6346. From what I know the Gnutella network uses that port. I do have Bearshare & Emule installed but their never running and neither are running now. At present the only things accessing my network is this browser, AVG & my WLAN.

What's going on? I've used Port Explorer to check out things as well but it isn't telling me anyone is conencted to me on that port.

Look at this: http://xs28.xs.to/pics/05191/sniff.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  2. Nick_morris

Nick_morris Registered Member

3. Nookie

Nookie Registered Member

Huha thanks Nick. I just reset my router and now no more IPs :).

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Q: What is a host cache? A: A host cache is a program which hands out IP addresses to gnutella clients. When a gnutella client is started it needs to find some other gnutella clients in order to connect to the network. The host cache provides those IP's. The hostcache is usually the first place you connect to when launching BearShare. Once you have received some addresses from the host cache then you attempt to connect to those addresses. The only reason to communicate with the host cache after that would be if all the IP addresses you had were not working and you needed some more IP addresses to try

You really have 2 options.

1- if that port is not opened on your machine and is being dropped, then you can create a rule on your firewall to reject attempts to that port. Instead of silently discarding them (drop). Maybe the master list will get the hint and remove your address. Keep your IP address for now and treat the attempts as frivolous port scans. They are not getting in anyways.

2- If it really bothers you this much. Disconnect from the net and then reconnect, which should result in a new IP.

Unless you start seeing massive connection attempts at the rate of several hundred min/sec. Then i would not concern myself too much with it. These are some of the headaches that you have to deal with when you get your IP changes often.

Think of it as receiving mail (physical) to the person that used to live in your house.

5. Nookie

Nookie Registered Member

Thanks for that, I disconnected my router and reconnected so got a new IP :(.

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Nookie,

I am sure you will love your new IP as much as your old. :D

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.