Lost three o/s at once, recovered some info BUT

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by yckmbfha, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yckmbfha

yckmbfha Registered Member

Following a crash on my main os, the one with os selector installed, I had all sorts of problems booting either of the other two O/S. When i eventually got one to work, there were several gigabytes of info from the first os that i needed to save.
    I managed to find the folders by going through "my computer" and C drive, which were accessible from one os to another, due to an earlier problem i had with os selector, which i posted about. The folder showed as empty, but by unprotecting the folders in o/s selector, it made the data accessible.

I unplugged this hard drive and did a completely clean single install of xp to another hard drive, then plugged the other hard drive back in, and moved all the documents and folders i needed, to my new xp installation, which worked fine, however when i rebooted with the intention of wiping the other hard drive, os selector started up and interfered with my new install, and when i go into my computer C drive now,on the fresh installed new drive, allthough it shows 70gb of used space, all the documents i moved are in a folder called lostfile, which shows as only 14mb, and when i try to access any folder within that folder, allthough every main folder i copied over is there,it says access denied, please tell me how to access my info that was fine untill os selector got its claws into it? Thank you, Clayton.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello yckmbfha,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Multiboot Managing Software.

Please make sure your new drive is set as the first boot device in BIOS. If you didn't install Acronis OS Selector on the new copy of Windows it shouldn't appear when you boot with the new hard drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. yckmbfha

The new drive is set as the first boot device, I know os selector should'nt have started but it did.
    Now i'm sorry but do you actually read these posts, it has started it has messed up my files and what i want to know is HOW CAN I OPEN THE FOLDERS WITHIN THE FOLDER NAMED LOSTFILE, CREATED BY YOUR PROGRAM? Thank you for your dilligent attention!!!!!

4. Acronis Support

Hello yckmbfha,

I couldn't quite get whether you copied the necessary files manually or using Acronis software? If you copied them manually then you should be able to access them. Please describe whether you performed the new clean install without installing Acronis OS Selector?

To remove Acronis OS Selector from MBR please fix MBR either using Windows Installation CD or one of the methods described at Acronis Help Post.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. yckmbfha

I did a clean install, on a seperate clean hard drive, whilst the other drive that had crashed was disconected. Then i installed the other drive as a second drive, and then accessed it through my computer, allthough i couldnt access the lost files. So i had to restart, with the crashed drive as the boot drive, and activate os selector, then i un protected all the folders and rebooted with my clean drive with new os, as the boot drive.
    When it booted, os selector started, and showed my new os,and two of the original operating systems from the crashed drive, so i started it through os selector. I was then able to access all my files on the crashed drive, which i moved to my new drive, manually. However when i restarted my pc, all the files that i had moved were in a folder called lostfile, and when i try and open any of my folders that are stored in the lostfile folder it says access denied. Through research i have discovered that this lostfile is created by your software, so i want to know how to get access to my files. Thank you.

6. Acronis Support

Hello yckmbfha,

If you get Acronis OS Selector screen when you plugged the old drive it means that you had that old drive as the first boot device in BIOS. After you disabled the protection of folders you may deactivate Acronis OS Selector and then boot from the new hard drive.

Please note that folders: Windows, Documents and Settings, Program Files for each operating system are located in BOOTWIZ folder of Acronis OS Selector and you may copy the necessary files from there.

Another variant is to change security settings on necessary folders manually.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

Ilya Toytman hi

So how do you do this!!!! as ive the same problem, tried safe mode no luck, inside the lostfile folder there is program files0 and programfiles48 going right into the folder there is a emty link, i need to delete this folder so please tell me how!!!! me thinks only way to do this is to uninstall the disk director suite??

and reinstall!! :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.