lost partition and windows root? HELP

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by First Timer, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. First Timer

First Timer Registered Member

Wow, I have really messed up now. I was trying to do a restore from and external hard drive and who knows what I did or how it happened.. but here is my best recap. I could see the .tib file and did a restore but I could not open any if the programs that I restore data from...it stated program not found. So I continued to work on the computer..checking email and making a few excel spread sheets etc..I thought that all was well (except for the restore) So I went to bed, left the computer on...the next morning I came to the office and found that for some reason, I guess the computer tried to reboot during the night but there was and error on the screen " reinstall windows root\system32\hal\dll." I can not even boot from the Acronis disk that I thought that I made. But can boot from Spotmau emergency disk and it says Window not found and the partition size is 6096 or some small number like that. I didn't write it down. But the system is Windows XP SP3 with 160 GB HHD 512 mem. I also tried to use Barts repair and it could not find windows either. Is there a way to repair this and restore the orginial partitions? Please help. I think I am drowning and over my head. I have never had these problem before have I lost me ........ Thanks in advance for your help.

2. First Timer

You mean I can't get a response to questions!

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Try a repair install with your Windows CD.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Do you have a spare computer in which you could either install the drive that you ahve a problem with or insert it into an external USB drive, attach it to another computer so that you can see exactly what is on the drive.

Do you still have the image that you tried to restore?

Just check in your PC's BIOS that the boot order is set for CDROM\HDD and that the priority (if your BIOS has this option) is also set to CDROM.

This might allow you to then boot from the TI Rescue CD.

As far as your original problem was concerned this might be down to the SSID's on your image weren't (somehow) the same as those that were now on your system. If you have XPpro then it is easy enough to attach those filels and folders to your current SSID.

If you decide to go DwnNdrty's route then, you will want to ignore the first 'R' for repair that comes up and choose INSTALL - IF your disk structure is still in tact then the Installer should find the old Windows installation and offer you the choice of REPAIR or INSTALL - choose REPAIR this will delete all your service packs and updates - unless the XP CD includes a service pack in which case you'll just lose the updates.

5. First Timer

Thanks for the suggestions, I will give them a try. As to repairing Windows I have tried that option and it says not enough roon the partition is 6096 or some small size. thank again for ideas I will be back with the results.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

First Timer,

I agree with Colin, please explore the content of the image, it looks like the archive doesn't contain system files.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

7. First Timer

Thanks for the imput.
    I can not even get to the tdrive as a slave to look at any information. when I try to doa Windows repair witht ehWindows XP CD nothing happens at all and when I thy to do an install it tells me not enough room on the disk. Thank again.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello First Timer,

Thank you for using Acronis Products

Check the following Microsoft KB article to find solution to the issue you experience. Lets us know the results.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.