Losing internet connection w/ZASS & Nod32

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Rilla927, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi folks,

I installed ZASS 6.1.744 on a new XP Home install of windows. After the install the av/spyware component were disabled immediately. I never let it start even once because I wanted to install Nod32 for my AV.

On this fresh install of windows ( in this very order) I installed SuperAntispyware Pro, BOClean, Online Armor, ZASS, Nod32. After Nod32 install I restart and everything is okay for about a half hour and all of a sudden no internet connection at all. The first thing I checked was the Network Connections folder and it was empty every time. I have restored this computer three times in the last two days and this always happens after the Nod32 install. I was just hoping to find a solution so I can keep running it.

Is there something I may need to exclude in Nod/ a fix for the connection? I thought I would try this because I have seen posts where others have done it and had no problems, so I was hoping it would work for me as well. I don't like the AV in ZASS that's why I wanted to install Nod32.

If anyone knows of a fix please let me know.

Thanks

2. betauser2

betauser2 Guest

3. Rilla927

I followed step 1 (manual deletion). I tried the Winsock XP fix and it didn't work. Since I deleted those keys do you think it may work now? Just a thought.

Step 2) when I click on Network Connections it's still empty. When I right click on Network Connections the choices are Open, Explore, Create Shortcut. No Properties. I did restart after step 1.

4. Rilla927

I thought I would check the registry after I manually deleted those keys and Winsock2 was there again so I tried the deletion again in safe mode and the Winsock2 is still there. This thing will not let me delete it.

Is it because maybe Nod is protecting it?

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Rilla927,
    Install ZAss last, (but disable (quit) Nod before ZAss install).
    Make sure you completely disable ZAss AV/Spyware on install.

6. Rilla927

Oops, did it backwardso_O

Will do, thanks Stem, you are a life saver;)

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Rilla927,
    I did install ZAss on top of Nod before I posted#5, all still running O.K. (3hrs)

8. Rilla927

Thank you very much Stem:thumb:

9. Rilla927

Hi Stem,

I did exactly as you said and I checked the Network Connections folder right before I was going to connect to internet and it's empty, no connection.

There is something conflicting badly on my sytem I guess.

My problem is I'm not familiar with no other FW except for ZA. Now I wish I would have bought the stand a lone FW instead.

10. Rilla927

Stem, I called ZA customer service and I got a refund for the Suite. Now I will purchase the stand a lone version so it will work with Nod32, ya!

Thanks for your help.

11. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

If your network connections folder is empty and previously you had already configured a connection, there may be something nasty on your system. It would seem something is deleting your network connections. I suggest running a antivirus, antitrojan and antispyware scan.

Try creating a new network connection too and see if that vanishes into thin air.

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Rilla927
    Did you try to re-install the nic(network card) at that time?
    Could you post details of your hardware setup, (motherboard/ nic card etc.).
    (I would like to try and re-produce this problem)

I hope this sorts out your problem. But please still post hardware details. (or PM these to me)

Stem

13. Rilla927

No. It needed some windows updates and one of them were for the nic card. I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
    No problem, I will get it to you ASAP.

So far it's working great, no problems:)

14. Rilla927

Stem,

I have a question in regards to the AntiSpyware module in ZA Pro 6.5.722.000.

If I turn this on, is it going to cause problems with Nod32?

Thanks

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have set up to check,.. all looks O.K. with ZA pro anti-spyware on

16. Rilla927

That's good news. Thank you;)

17. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I am using the latest ZASS 6.5.737 with NOD32 on my desktop and have no problems. I installed ZASS 6.5.737 over ZAP 6.1.744.001 and selected clean install when it asked me. I did disable auto startup option of all other antispyware, and turned off auto startup of ZAP program then rebooted, then disabled all NOD32 modules before installing ZASS. ZASS auto detected the NOD32 Outlook and Outlook Express scan modules and did not turn on the ZASS email AV module. One more thing I did was disable the ZASS IMSecurity feature since although I did not confirm this myself someone told me that there was a conflict with ZASS IMSecurity component and NOD32 2.5x.

From beginning to end I was up and running without a glitch in less than ten minutes. I updated the ZASS AV and AS then disabled the ZASS AV on-access scan feature, the scheduled scan, then disabled the entire AV component in ZASS. I also excluded the eset and Webroot directories in the ZASS AV configuration. I did all that just in case the ZASS AV gets turned on somehow by accident in the future. I wanted to eliminate all possible AV conflicts. Next I turned on all NOD32 modules and rebooted. Everything is running perfectly. If anything the new ZASS 6.5.737 seems faster and more efficient than when I was running ZAP 6.1.744.001 with NOD32 2.5x. I have since enabled SpySweeper 4.5 (SS 5.0.x was a nightmare so I uninstalled it and switched back to SS 4.5x) and I have all SS 4.5x features enabled.

One important note that is entirely unrelated to my recent ZASS installation is that I don't recommend using any McAfee security products with NOD32 or ZAP or ZASS since I began having major conflicts with them (McAfee Antispyware v2 in my situation) after some recent McAfee updates. I had full system lockups requiring pull the power chord shutdowns. I had to uninstall all McAfee products and remove some selected McAfee registry entries before I could get all the McAfee components out of my msconfig startup items menu. I believe that there are some new incompatabilities with the various McAfee security products and the ZA firewall and/or NOD32.

Regarding my recent ZASS 6.5.737 installation, the entire upgrade went perfectly without a single problem. This does not mean I could not run into unknown issues in the future but it seems to be working great on my desktop system. AMD Athlon 2600+, 1GB DDR , NVidia AGP 6600, Windows XP Pro SP2. I have been using the same Windows installation for four years but I have upgraded the system hardware many times without re-installing the OS.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  18. Rilla927

Hi SoCalReviews,

I'm glad everything went smooth for you. You mentioned the IM Security feature and Nod32. I wonder ..... if that's why my installs didn't work. I never shut it off, but I didn't know to do so either. I tried four times and gave up. Then switched to the Pro version so I would be able to run Nod32.

I have ZA Pro 6.5.722 now with Nod32. I did notice when I restart ZA is using a 100% CPU so I have to wait for it to calm down before I can do anything. I think it's having some type of conflict with my Spyware program because when I disable the real time scan and shut the program down and restart ZA doesn't use all the CPU.

Since I installed ZA Pro I can't get it to detect Nod32.

I used to have Spysweeper (I think the 3.5) and because of reinstalling the program many times because of restoring windows they cut me off 4 months before my expiration date because they said I used up my all my updates. I was so mad. So therefore, it will never go back on my computer.

I'm an Ex-McAfee user. I have read many threads about the conflict between McAfee & ZA.

When you excluded Nod32 in ZASS, did you exclude sub folders too?

19. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

Hi Rilla927, I don't think that the IMSecurity being enabled was why you were having problems. I have some suggestions for you to follow when installing ZASS or ZAP.

First, the newer ZASS and ZAP versions 6.5.737 seem to have improved compatability with other programs using their default installation settings compared to the previous 6.5.722 or other 6.5x versions. That 100% CPU problem seems like a conflict with ZA and another security program but it could also be another issue related to that previous ZA version. Using the new version 6.5.737, choosing to do a clean install when asked and adjusting your settings might help with that issue. If you have one make sure you have your ZA product subscription key on hand in case you need to re-enter during installation.

Second, it is very important that before you run the ZASS or ZAP install program that you turn off the auto startup option of ALL other security software then you reboot your machine (you will turn each one back on after a successful ZA install to test for compatability). Confirm that those security programs are not running then turn off all the NOD32 modules. Then install the ZASS or ZAP program and choose clean install to that they can configure their settings automatically. Make sure all the ZASS or ZAP updates are done and finished, then reboot, then disable the ZASS antivirus component including the scheduled scan and on access scan, and for ZASS and ZAP the antispyware can be left on. Turn off the ZASS IMSecurity feature then reboot and then you can re-enable all the NOD32 modules and make sure that the main NOD32 program has Super Trusted access and any required in the ZA Program Settings. You can also turn back on your other security program auto startup options that you previously disabled then reboot and check for any issues with them and your new ZASS or ZAP installation.

Finally, using ZAP instead of ZASS is the safer way to go for compatability and you really don't need ZASS unless you must have the Parental Controls or Email Spam filtering features. I was motivated by a special inexpensive one year ZASS upgrade offer from ZoneLabs and might still be using ZAP with a new one year subscripton if it wasn't for the discount offer. The email spam filtering for Outlook and Outlook Express is the only extra ZASS feature I am using that I did not have with ZAP. The latest ZAP release should work well with NOD32. I don't know if you have already done this but if you have any direct questions regarding problems with any ZoneAlarm product you may also want to check out ZoneLab's ZoneAlarm user forum for additional advice for uninstalling, re-installing, updating and configuring ZoneAlarm. Go to www.zonelabs.com and follow the Customer Support links for the Zone Labs user forum.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.