Loosing Internet connection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by WilliamP, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

New Dell 8400. Everthing is good using XP firewall. I tried Outpost and had too many problems. I now have Zone Alarm free, and everything works great till the computer is idle for a couple of hours. When you try to access E Mail or the internet it won't connect. I go into NOD32 Imon and repair connection and reboot. Then it works fine. How can I fix the problem? I know it must have something to do with the firewall because with XP firewall it hasn't done this.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Don't know if this will help William. I'm not using Zone Alarm

Faq

1. I'm running ZoneAlarm and now I'm having trouble accessing the Internet. What should I do?

ZoneAlarm is working hard to protect your PC. However, if you've just installed ZoneAlarm and you're unable to connect to any Web sites, there's probably been an error in installation. Here's what to do:

* Open ZoneAlarm, then press F1.
    * From the search tab, type Troubleshooting
    * Double-click on "I'm having trouble connecting to the Internet"

From there, the comprehensive ZoneAlarm help system will provide a guide to troubleshooting your Internet connection. As part of our widespread user base, we've probably captured most of the issues users are likely to see and have incorporated them into the product's help system.

3. WilliamP

Thank you ron for your reply. This only happens if the computer has sat idle for a couple of hours. After doing what I posted all is fine.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

My knowledge of Zone Alarm is limited these days. I used it once upon a time, long ago.

NOD and Zone Alarm have had conflicts in the past. Whether this is your problem or not, I do not know.

I believe Blackspear uses Zone Alarm or has knowledge of it.

5. WilliamP

Ron I did what you said and the only thing in troubleshooting is if you cannot connect to the internet and of course I can connect. I loose the connection only if Zone Alarm is active.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I wonder if the event viewer in control panel show any errors when this occurs.
    Event viewer, system.

7. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

I had a similar problem with ZA free (after reboot no probs, after an idle period, connection lost). I tried to get to a site using an IP adress instead of the domain name and that worked. It was because I had a router and ZA had a problem with DNS because I hadn't set up to allow DNS in the ZA settings. Don't know if you're using a router so don't know if it helps.

8. WilliamP

I am using a router. Could be my problem. It is weird because it doesn't loose it all the time.

9. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

Exactly the same for me. I posted a question on this forum and by the time people replied, the problem had gone. Then it came back but was solved by changing the DNS settings. Here's the thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=77205

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.