Look'n'stop not running under the System user account

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by ToMMY2ooo, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMMY2ooo

ToMMY2ooo Registered Member

I have enabled the setting to get Look'n'Stop to run as the system user but for some reason it doesnt seem to be doing so, even after several reboots and a reinstallation.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Tom

2. ToMMY2ooo

Just one more thing, why isnt Look'n'Stop installed as a windows service? If it is meant to be then there is something wrong.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey ToMMY2ooo

Please access Look ‘n’ Stop “Options” screen and verify “System” has been checked, if it already checked try de-checking and click Apply button then re-check and click Apply button.

http://www.wilderssecurity.info/images/optionsEn.png

Look ‘n’ Stop isn’t meant to run as System Service, yet…

4. ToMMY2ooo

I have done what you said, before I posted. After trying again the program is still running under the user account that I log in with, not the system account.

Cheers,
    Tom

5. Phant0m

OHHhH

Look ‘n’ Stop “System” Feature uses Start method (Local Machine Run) and not System Services.

Regards,

6. Phant0m

What location is Look ‘n’ Stop Installed at?

7. ToMMY2ooo

Ah I see. That seems very insecure since Look'n'Stop will not start until a user logs in leaving the computer unsecured while the login screen is displayed?

Cheers,
    Tom

8. ToMMY2ooo

C:\Program Files\Soft4Ever\looknstop

Cheers,
    Tom

9. Phant0m

Hey Tom

I’ve created .vb script to Tweak Look ‘n’ Stop Start-up method greatly, it’s only for Windows 2000/XP usage, download is available by clicking Here to obtain “Start-up_Tweak-In.vbs”, The Start-up Tweak Installer. And download also available for the Start-up Tweak Removal by clicking Here

10. ToMMY2ooo

Interesting, Im run the script, rebooted and now I have two instances of looknstop.exe running both under my login account.

Cheers,
    Tom

11. Phant0m

Hey Tom

Yea Disable Look 'n' Stop Start-up method from within the GUI, goto Options screen and choose "None" for Automatic Start :)

12. ToMMY2ooo

ok done that. I have only got one instance running now, but still running under my user account. This still means that my computer is unprotected during a period where no one is logged in.

Cheers,
    Tom

13. Phant0m

Yea, Look ‘n’ Stop Start-up Tweak was only meant to Enhance boot-up under Windows 2000/XP, as you can see below it does

2. Services
    4. [Start-up Tweak]
    5. Shell (Windows Shell [Explorer.exe])
    7. [Look ‘n’ Stop “System” Automatic Start]

Regards,

14. ToMMY2ooo

I am unable to find the service you mention. When I run the script again it reports that has already been installed.

Is there any particular order I should have installed the script to? Should I have disabled the auto start in looknstop before I ran the script?

Cheers,
    Tom

15. ToMMY2ooo

ahh sorry, yeah Im with ya now.

Cheers,
    Tom

16. ToMMY2ooo

Just to make sure, the script edits the userinit.bat file to load looknstop before the shell starts?

Would it be possible to use a daemon manager such as firedaemon to run looknstop as the system user, under a windows service? What would happen if I did this?

Cheers,
    Tom

17. Phant0m

Yes with the Start-up Tweak Applied it boots Look ‘n’ Stop GUI before the Shell, with 3rd party Utilities with Service capabilities being used to load secondary Application usually resorts to larger and unpredictable delays. I’ll give FireDaemon a go and give you my views on-it…

18. ToMMY2ooo

Thanks for that, its a excellent firewall so far, and Im very impressed with support from you. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

19. Phant0m

Hey Tom

I’ve downloaded/installed FireDaemon, using this utility or something alike to enhance the boot-up of Software Firewall or some other form of Software Security isn’t something I’d recommend, or at least under certain conditions.

Like I had mentioned earlier there is an unpredictable boot delay when using such utilities to boot-up additional Applications under System, using Start-up Tweak is greater or at least under certain conditions.

If there is no Login Password set or the Automatic Login usage is set the Start-up Tweak is better, but if there is Login Password set and no Automatic Login usage been set this utility or alike could be beneficial.

And to be honest with you, you are correct that if Frederic implemented Service capabilities that this could avoid possible leaks (malicious or other-wise).

Thanks! No problem! And anytime... ;)

20. Vital

Vital Guest

I'm using AppToService to launch the LookNStop. It's a nice comand-line utility which allows you to enter once the information about the program you want to start as a service. Then it's starts next time automatically.
    Exemple of command needed to be run to install the firewall as a service:

AppToService.exe /install /absname:"Look'n'Stop" /Arguments:"-auto" /Directory:"C:/Program Files/Soft4Ever/looknstop" /show:2 /startup:A "C:/Program Files/Soft4Ever/looknstop/looknstop.exe"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.